• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 Mystic main bearing pin

BMWGSA

So while fixing leaks on my 1994 Mystic, I removed the oil pan and found a pin..

This pin I belive is used to keep the main bearing from moving and cutting off the oil supply to the rocker arms.

Does anyone knoe of a video of this repair ?

Measure diameter and length and post here so others can verify that the pin you found is the bearing retaining pin and not a rocker needle. I once found a pin in the pan of an R80 but it was much larger diameter than the bearing pin.

Best,
DeVern

.447 long
.158 wide

I tried uploading pics it keeps failing

Snowbum indicates the crankshaft pin is about 11mm long and about 4mm in diameter. Assuming you measurement units are inches, you have about the right length, and your diameter is spot on at 4mm. It's difficult to find any documentation on the size of the rocker arm bearings, but I ran across something which suggested they were 15mm long by 2.5mm diameter. Those dimensions are very different than what Snowbum reported for the roll pin. I suspect that the pin in the crankshaft would of larger diameter in order to take the loads involved. It's easy enough to verify that the rocker arm bearing housing are intact by doing an inspection. Brook Reams has pictures of the rocker arm bearings for his R100RS rebuild here:

https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyc...rocker-needle-bearings-remove-valves-inspect/

As for uploading pictures, try reducing the resolution or size of the images.

Back