• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cones and friction zone clutch work

brownie0486

2012 r1200GS, dry clutch. I've been told not to use the dry clutch bikes for cone work where constantly using the friction zone is mandatory. I'm also told the leo's who've used the BMW dry clutches in cone burn them up pretty quickly. Also told to keep the rpm's below 1500 and it won't be an issue, but the leo's are using their at or below that already and they're beating the clutches up pretty good.

Consensus on using extensive friction zone on the dry clutch?

2012 r1200GS, dry clutch. I've been told not to use the dry clutch bikes for cone work where constantly using the friction zone is mandatory. I'm also told the leo's who've used the BMW dry clutches in cone burn them up pretty quickly. Also told to keep the rpm's below 1500 and it won't be an issue, but the leo's are using their at or below that already and they're beating the clutches up pretty good.

Consensus on using extensive friction zone on the dry clutch?

Practice is critical to gain the skills at slow speed maneuvering. Lower rpms heat the clutch less but make it easier to stall. Higher heat the clutch. I certainly wouldn’t use it beyond smelling the clutch without letting it cool. In the end it costs what it costs. Weight transfer and body position contribute also and neither heat the clutch.

I have found that using a bicycle to practice slow speed maneuvers transfers to the MC.

Practice is critical to gain the skills at slow speed maneuvering. Lower rpms heat the clutch less but make it easier to stall. Higher heat the clutch. I certainly wouldn’t use it beyond smelling the clutch without letting it cool. In the end it costs what it costs. Weight transfer and body position contribute also and neither heat the clutch.

I have found that using a bicycle to practice slow speed maneuvers transfers to the MC.

Been through two police motor courses with the 07 K1200GT. :thumb

If just doing cones to build skills, you might start with widely spaced cones that allow full clutch engagement. Decrease cone spacing as skills increase. Surprisingly tight turns can be made at idle without slipping the clutch.

If just doing cones to build skills, you might start with widely spaced cones that allow full clutch engagement. Decrease cone spacing as skills increase. Surprisingly tight turns can be made at idle without slipping the clutch.

First course we started with 22' circles, then dropped to 20, then to 18. I'm good with 18's the way I was trained slipping the clutch. Both motor courses dictated the skills. Yes, tight turns can be made at idle, but it's not going to get you into the top 10 riders if you dawdle like that :thumb

Thank you for your insight.

The practice cone work seems like a great way to assess skills and point to opportunities to improve. What o don’t want to do is train bad habits.

Sorry for derailing you original post, I still think the skills are worth what is costs from the clutch.

Thank you for your insight.

The practice cone work seems like a great way to assess skills and point to opportunities to improve. What o don’t want to do is train bad habits.

Sorry for derailing you original post, I still think the skills are worth what is costs from the clutch.

Maybe apples and oranges, but in the '80s we attended between 8 and 15 weekend rallies in a year. And Voni used her R80 or R65 in field events every rally. And she got a new clutch every year. Price of doing business on the rally circuit.

Maybe apples and oranges, but in the '80s we attended between 8 and 15 weekend rallies in a year. And Voni used her R80 or R65 in field events every rally. And she got a new clutch every year. Price of doing business on the rally circuit.

Thank you. I hope I don’t need one that often. I don’t know what the field events require, if they are off pavement I’d say it would be harder on the clutch.

That said, the skills are important. I’ve the tools and space to do a clutch so we’ll see.

Back