• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1982 R100RS runs erratically after 2 miles (warmed up)

FChatfield

As thread title states, my 1982 R100RS is running erratically after 2 miles. What happens is the bike runs fine until it warms up and then starts to "lurch" and run erratically. What I have done so far is: opened and cleaned Bing carbs...twice...the second time installing new o-rings and gaskets. I've checked timing, valve clearances, run compression test, checked fuel lines. My next diagnostic suspicion is choke linkage, but I am wondering if anyone can steer me in directions I haven't considered. Diagnostics have never been my strong suit.

Have you checked/considered the heat sink paste on the back of the ECU located under the gas tank on the backbone on the right side. Lack of paste or dried paste can cause the above problems.

Friedle

Electronic Ignition Updated

Have you checked/considered the heat sink paste on the back of the ECU located under the gas tank on the backbone on the right side. Lack of paste or dried paste can cause the above problems.

Friedle

I liked your suggestion and got under the tank at the ECU where I had applied heat sink paste in the past. My original Hall canister and ECU were replaced (by me) in 2016 with the Alpha Ignition System v.3 from Motorrad Elektrik (Rick Jones). The Alpha ECU is closed and doesn't require periodic maintenance...I checked this with Rick Jones and he confirmed. Thanks for your suggestion!

1982 R100RS running well now.

My original problem of the bike hesitating after 2 miles got better when I epoxied the dome inserts on both CV carburetors. I did both, but I think the problem was on the right carb where the dome insert was discolored (brown). Robert Fleischer mentioned in a tech article that if one or both dome inserts leak (air), the bike will run as though the diaphragms are torn. After epoxy sealing the dome inserts, the RS began to do better after 2 miles, but still had intermittent hesitation issues. That got resolved when a friend suggested I check spark plug wire connections. It turned out I could not pull the left side plug wire out of the coil and when I tried to loosen it a bit with a small twisting motion, the wire separated from the copper connector on the wire's end. The connector remained in the coil. When I put a replacement wire in left coil, the bike has been tip-top ever since. Looking back, I believe I had multiple issues that required cleaning/repair of the carburetors and replacing my spark plug wires.

Thanks for the feedback! Guess the old adage of going back over everything that was touched still is a wise thing to remember. :thumb

Back