• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring question - 2016RT

skibumwi

Hey,

Anyone know where I can get to the wires controlling the front turn signals, other than at the signal lights? Anywhere under the seat?

Thanks,
Ski

Why the "front" as opposed to the rear or front and rear?

I guess that my focus is on making sure that people see me coming, therefore the front. In addition, I already have the Skene controller for the rear LED's that are on at all times, flickering.

Ski

I tried taking photos to show but the flickering effect makes it very hard to get a good still photo, and I couldn't see a way to upload a short video.

Last edited:
I guess that my focus is on making sure that people see me coming, therefore the front. In addition, I already have the Skene controller for the rear LED's that are on at all times, flickering.

Ski

I tried taking photos to show but the flickering effect makes it very hard to get a good still photo, and I couldn't see a way to upload a short video.

OK but what isolates the fronts from the rears? Usually they are on the same curcuit.

Looking at the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual it shows one circuit for each of the four lights (2 front, 2 rear).

Also, I seem to remember reading that amber running lights are illegal in the rear in some states. I may be mis-remembering

Ski

I tapped into the same lead as my P3 lights, using a separate controller
In my case used default setting of lights on all the time.

I tapped into the same lead as my P3 lights, using a separate controller
In my case used default setting of lights on all the time.

According to Skene a separate controller should not be required. The output of the controller should be able to drive both the rear LEDs (Photon Blaster, or is it P3 can't remember right now) and front turn signals. But my original question still stands: Where can I find the wire that run up to the front signal lights? I'd like to be able to do all my wiring under seat and not run wires all the way up into the fairing.

The turn signals are individually powered from the ZFE, which I think is still under the tank on the Wetheads. The only turn signal wires under the seat would be for those powering the rear signals.

On my Hexhead, the turn signal wires were accessible behind the mirrors. Even though I ended up removing most of the front bodywork, it was still easier (and neater) than removing the tank and digging into the main wiring harness.

I wired a set of Skene LEDs into my top case - both red for tail/turn and yellow as turn signals. I don't think this is exactly what you're seeking but I hope it will help.

For the rears, the turn signal wires are blue - one with a red stripe (left turn) and one with a black stripe (right turn). Maybe the same colors also go forward and can be found in the loom running up the right hand side? Both of these were buried deep in a bundle under the plastic tail fairing behind the passenger seat. Finding them in the loom wasn't easy. For switched power I used the red/green wire in the plug in front of the seat as noted in these Skene instructions in the picture labeled "2016 Model: under-seat fuse block wiring".

If I were you, I'd find and tap a brake wire while I was under the seat as well. Since the Skene IQ-260-TS controller is programmed via brake light pulses, if you ever want to change anything like turn the conspicuity flicker on or off, you'll need to connect the brake wire anyway, so might as well do it while you're wiring it the first time. Then just leave the wire out of the positap and cap the end until needed. Or am I totally misunderstanding you? Between this thread and the other in another forum I'm kind of lost on your intent. Maybe you're just trying to add front turns to an existing Skene setup - maybe swapping in a IQ-260-TS in place of another existing controller?

Good luck.

Sorry, I was trying to keep the question straight forward and easy - guess I missed the Mark.

Indeed, I do have an existing Skene setup for both the front and rear lights. I just replaced the controller with the newer version with the decelerometer (my Physics teacher is cringing) and now I am interested in adding the Front turn signals to the set up. So this what I'm after:

Skene Fronts.gif

As you can see, I need to cut the wire to each turn signal in order to complete the set up and I'm only trying to find a place where I can access the wires to perform the installation.

Ski

Back