• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another Recall for Brakes???

Voni

sMiling
Staff member
I just read this on FB:

Michael Freville
My dealer told me today that all G310 GS’s have been pulled. The dealers are told do not sell. Something about brake problems.

I had read earlier that this was just in the UK. What have your heard?

Voni

NHTSA has this:
August 14, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V593000
Brake Calipers May Corrode
A sticking or dragging brake could affect braking performance, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V593000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number of Units Affected 5,938

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019 C 400 X, 2018-2020 G 310 GS, and 2017-2020 G 310 R scooters and motorcycles. The front and rear brake caliper pistons may corrode, possibly causing the piston to stick or drag in the caliper bore.

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front and rear brake calipers, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 4, 2019. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

More details here, in the Defect Notice linked under Associated Documents, along with the Stop Delivery Notice.

I doubt you and Paul have seen British levels of road salt in many years.

We were looking to buy a new G310R for.my wife, but due to the recall, the local BMW dealers (DFW area) won't sell them, or even let you do a demo ride.

We found a used 2018 at an incredible price with very low mileage, so will make sure that we get this looked at as soon as BMW figures out what to about it in the US.

I heard/read that at the moment it's an advisory to inspect, but that they may decide to replace. Don't quote me on this, as I can't remember where I got this from.

The initial notice to the dealers is available:https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCMN-19V593-5947.pdf

Until new calipers are available, if you have one of five listed conditions, take it to the dealer for inspection, and if a caliper is corroded it will be replaced temporarily with a new caliper of the original design.

Once the new parts are available, all of the calipers are to be replaced with the redesigned part.

The notice is one of the "associated documents" at the earlier link (https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/BMW/G310%252520GS#recalls). Other documents there include more information and some history on the reported problem.

Back