Thread: Magazine plastic wrap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Magazine plastic wrap

I think the concern of our monthly BMWON magazine being delivered in plastic may have been brought up recently in a letter, but I would like a response from the magazine staff as to why, in our present environment, it is considered a necessity. It seemed especially ironic today as I also received the Patagonia catalog with its lead story questioning WHY regarding our continued overuse of plastics. It is an excellent, informative read.

As motorcyclists, enjoying our bikes for many purposes, perhaps we should be especially diligent at taking measures to minimize our impacts upon the earth that imparts so much to our riding experience. Dropping the use of the plastic magazine cover would be a very small undertaking by us, but one that could get us thinking of other measures that we might employ. If some small number of members have trouble with their magazine delivery, perhaps the best place to start would be their local post office. I receive a couple of other motorcycle magazines. Rarely has there been any delivery problem.

Not so long ago there were many complaints about the lack of protective covers on the magazines. Many members complained of damaged magazines. I for one want my magazine wrapped in something that protects it while in the mail. If another substance that is affordable and effective while being better for the environment can be found, then use it. Paper comes to mind, but kills a bunch of trees. But if no such replacement can be found, then stick with the plastic.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I vote for paper!
    You can always grow more trees. Yes their is loggers in my family.

I recommend paper made from hemp, which is now legal.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

As Kevin said, the plastic bag was the response to many complaints about magazines mangled in the mail. My copies never had any more cover damage than a wrinkle or torn corner, so not a big deal for something I read once before recycling. If a member is concerned about the environmental impacts of ON, it is simple enough to select a digital MOA membership, saving cash, paper, fuel, plastic, and eventual landfill expenses.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    If a member is concerned about the environmental impacts of ON, it is simple enough to select a digital MOA membership, saving cash, paper, fuel, plastic, and eventual landfill expenses.
    Someday that stack of paper (old ON's) in my basement will make the trip to the landfill. In prior decades, some member would pay for the shipping of the old issues, but no more.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Thank you Reece.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana