• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Magazine plastic wrap

khan

I think the concern of our monthly BMWON magazine being delivered in plastic may have been brought up recently in a letter, but I would like a response from the magazine staff as to why, in our present environment, it is considered a necessity. It seemed especially ironic today as I also received the Patagonia catalog with it’s lead story questioning “WHY” regarding our continued overuse of plastics. It is an excellent, informative read.

As motorcyclists, enjoying our bikes for many purposes, perhaps we should be especially diligent at taking measures to minimize our impacts upon the earth that imparts so much to our riding experience. Dropping the use of the plastic magazine cover would be a very small undertaking by us, but one that could get us thinking of other measures that we might employ. If some small number of members have trouble with their magazine delivery, perhaps the best place to start would be their local post office. I receive a couple of other motorcycle magazines. Rarely has there been any delivery problem.

Not so long ago there were many complaints about the lack of protective covers on the magazines. Many members complained of damaged magazines. I for one want my magazine wrapped in something that protects it while in the mail. If another substance that is affordable and effective while being better for the environment can be found, then use it. Paper comes to mind, but kills a bunch of trees. But if no such replacement can be found, then stick with the plastic.

As Kevin said, the plastic bag was the response to many complaints about magazines mangled in the mail. My copies never had any more cover damage than a wrinkle or torn corner, so not a big deal for something I read once before recycling. If a member is concerned about the environmental impacts of ON, it is simple enough to select a digital MOA membership, saving cash, paper, fuel, plastic, and eventual landfill expenses.

It’s a dim memory, but we survived just fine before plastic.
I do remember collecting returnable bottles for cash.
Plastic wins out because it’s cheaper.
What is out of sight is out of mind, I have worked or played on the ocean since I was a child, and the issue of plastic garbage on the worlds oceans was recognized over 40 years ago.
It would only be a small contribution, or lack of, but if a biodegradable recycled material can be considered, it’ll get my vote.
Bill
I’m going to digital ASAP.

Last edited:
There has been ample evidence that magazines are damaged in the mail.

A polybag gives us the chance to sell advertisers on an insert, which helps with revenue.

Hopefully these types of plastics will be producible without oil byproducts in the future.

Ian

I am the last guy to worry about it, but a paper wrapping or envelope would be better than plastic. But then I am a read 'em and toss 'em kinda guy.

I am the last guy to worry about it, but a paper wrapping or envelope would be better than plastic. But then I am a read 'em and toss 'em kinda guy.

There has been a lot of talk about the magazine when a member is done with it. Some of the best suggestions have been-

Give them to non-members.

Doctors or Dentist office waiting rooms.

Local Veterans Hospitals.

Libraries.

BMW dealers so others can pick them up.

BMW car service waiting rooms.

The ON magazine, whether it’s your favorite or not, is a high quality publication........Really too nice to be heaved.

OM

I've done all of the above, even snuck a few into a local Harley dealer.
Just left 3 copies of ON, 2 AirMail, 2 Autoweek, 2 Cycle World, & 2 of a sailing rag called Latitude 38 on a jury room counter that was full of travel mags.
Bill
I used to wrap my hemp in paper!:wave

Last edited:
There has been ample evidence that magazines are damaged in the mail.
Absolutely. No one is arguing the need for covering, only the type of covering used.

A polybag gives us the chance to sell advertisers on an insert, which helps with revenue.
Absolutely, and just as easily done with a paper envelope covering

Hopefully these types of plastics will be producible without oil byproducts in the future.
Plastics can also be made from vegetable stock; the source material for plastic is not the issue. What IS at issue is the nasty non-biodegradable tendency of plastic, leading to it sticking around forever as microplastic particles in the water and food supplies of every species on the planet. Hence the pressures now being seen to move away from plastic for single-use products like straws, bottled water, and yes—magazine covers.

The issue has been raised before, here in the forum and elsewhere, with no visible action or feedback from the powers-that-be as to investigating the possibilities or costs of changing to a paper envelope wrapper. Mostly all it drew was a lot of sniping from those who like their hammers and believe everything is, or should be, a nail. Stuck in the 50s/60s, I guess...

And my June issue? It arrived mangled. In the plastic wrapper...:rolleyes

Best,
DeVern

If a member is concerned about the environmental impacts of ON, it is simple enough to select a digital MOA membership, saving cash, paper, fuel, plastic, and eventual landfill expenses.

Someday that stack of paper (old ON's) in my basement will make the trip to the landfill. In prior decades, some member would pay for the shipping of the old issues, but no more.

Absolutely. No one is arguing the need for covering, only the type of covering used.

Absolutely, and just as easily done with a paper envelope covering

Plastics can also be made from vegetable stock; the source material for plastic is not the issue. What IS at issue is the nasty non-biodegradable tendency of plastic, leading to it sticking around forever as microplastic particles in the water and food supplies of every species on the planet. Hence the pressures now being seen to move away from plastic for single-use products like straws, bottled water, and yes—magazine covers.

The issue has been raised before, here in the forum and elsewhere, with no visible action or feedback from the powers-that-be as to investigating the possibilities or costs of changing to a paper envelope wrapper. Mostly all it drew was a lot of sniping from those who like their hammers and believe everything is, or should be, a nail. Stuck in the 50s/60s, I guess...

Best,
DeVern

Exsqeeze me, but is there anything in my post.... posted to answer the OPs question... that asked you for a friggin' lecture? :mad

Not sure why I am wasting my time because I care about the environment, too... however... I also understand the concept of diminishing returns.

fwiw, plastic is cheaper than paper, weighs less, takes less space and is moisture-proof and transparent (important factors related to mailing costs and marketing capabilities... and the energy required to manufacture and transport a material. Did you know that it takes about 4 times more energy to make paper? Paper of course can be recycled, but have you studied that industry closely lately?)

also fwiw, Bioplastics are not a complete answer. Maybe biodegradable plastic is?

It's really not that big of a deal. People that care so much can just subscribe digitally. Environmental activism isn't all that hard.... :dunno

And my June issue? It arrived mangled. In the plastic wrapper...:rolleyes

So, clearly, one instance damns everything? :rolleyes

< rant >

You know, it seems sometimes that our Forum is going pretty much exactly the way our Facebook Group goes... a lot of finger-wagging pedantry in response to honest questions and answers. Yeah, I am known for going on about things like this, :rolleyes but it sure would be great to see a group norm evolve that reduced the amount of anal nannyism in our community. Or... maybe, this type of online interaction is reflective of our brand? I know that this does not happen at our rallies or other meat space interactions. If I were to judge my enjoyment of this club based upon on-line interaction, I would not join. What gives?

< /rant >

Last edited:
I cut the label off my magazine polybag and recycle it at the local grocery store. Same with most of my plastic film packaging. The BIG problem is knowledge and education. Yes you can recycle this stuff and it is easy if you know about it and how/where to do it. Recycling is probably preferable to biodegradable whenever possible.

https://www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/recycling-bags-and-wraps/

https://www.how2recycle.info/

Yes, sure, but ...

Since China stopped buying plastic to recycle many recycle centers will no longer take it. Ditto steel cans. Right now all I can find that they will still take is cardboard and aluminum cans. YMMV at other locations.

Back