• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Water temp

marv-lou

Looking for opinions...I have a ‘16 k 1600 gtl. As you know there’s a bar graph on dash for water temp. Every since it was new it ran, depending on weather at 2 to 4 bars, average 3 bars. It would have to idle quite a while before it would get warm enough to kick the fan on. I just recently had the 18k service done which included removing the radiator & flushing the cooling system. Now the bike runs at 5 bars & will go from dead cold to 5 bars within a mile. It will also climb to the point to kick the fan on every time I stop at a couple stoplights. I went back to dealer, they said there was an air bubble in system & it was fine now. Bike still runs at same temps. I just recently completed a 2000 mi trip with no overheating problems, but I can’t help to feel like there something restricting the flow, not letting the coolant circulate properly. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

My 2012 GT runs between 4 & 5 bars rock steady in normal riding.
Never noticed how long it takes to get up to temp.

Joe

Last edited:
I’d ask if the coolant system was refilled using a vacuum tool. That’s the only way to guarantee no air entrapment in the head passages.

Edit: Also, verify that coolant level is correct in the reservoir...

Best,
DeVern

I’d ask if the coolant system was refilled using a vacuum tool. That’s the only way to guarantee no air entrapment in the head passages.

Edit: Also, verify that coolant level is correct in the reservoir...

Best,
DeVern

Thanks.. Not sure about vacuum tool. I think fluid level look high but after 2nd visit they stated everything was correct.

Thanks.. Not sure about vacuum tool. I think fluid level look high but after 2nd visit they stated everything was correct.

Well, I don’t claim to be a certified tech or an engineer and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but IMHO the symptoms you describe would certainly be in line with having an air pocket trapped at a sensor location—but I have no idea where the K16 mounts it’s sensors. And if there is air trapped in the system and fluid in the reservoir, the fluid level is moot—the system will never draw in fluid and relieve the problem. If the situation is really bothersome you may want to treat it as you would a medical issue and get a second opinion by having the fluid drained and refilled using the factory-recommended vacuum tool, possibly by another dealer. That’s a reasonably-priced way to scratch that possibility off the list.

Good luck,
DeVern

Well, I don’t claim to be a certified tech or an engineer and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but IMHO the symptoms you describe would certainly be in line with having an air pocket trapped at a sensor location—but I have no idea where the K16 mounts it’s sensors. And if there is air trapped in the system and fluid in the reservoir, the fluid level is moot—the system will never draw in fluid and relieve the problem. If the situation is really bothersome you may want to treat it as you would a medical issue and get a second opinion by having the fluid drained and refilled using the factory-recommended vacuum tool, possibly by another dealer. That’s a reasonably-priced way to scratch that possibility off the list.

Good luck,
DeVern

Thanks so much. Will look into that

I have a 2014 and it always runs with 4 or 5 bars, it's never been cooler or hotter for long periods of time. It has been up to 8 bars in extreme conditions but normal operations, it is solid at 4 or 5 bars.

Our 2019 K1600GT Sport is a 5 bar temp bike.

It comes up to 5 bars in short order and generally/usually stays right there.

In hot, slow moving conditions it will go up to 8 bars with the fan coming on either at 7 or 8 bars.

All the K bikes I've owned will get into the hot zone when in slow moving traffic in lower gears when the temps are above freezing ;)

Back