Thread: Water temp

Water temp

Looking for opinions...I have a Ď16 k 1600 gtl. As you know thereís a bar graph on dash for water temp. Every since it was new it ran, depending on weather at 2 to 4 bars, average 3 bars. It would have to idle quite a while before it would get warm enough to kick the fan on. I just recently had the 18k service done which included removing the radiator & flushing the cooling system. Now the bike runs at 5 bars & will go from dead cold to 5 bars within a mile. It will also climb to the point to kick the fan on every time I stop at a couple stoplights. I went back to dealer, they said there was an air bubble in system & it was fine now. Bike still runs at same temps. I just recently completed a 2000 mi trip with no overheating problems, but I canít help to feel like there something restricting the flow, not letting the coolant circulate properly. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

My 2012 GT runs between 4 & 5 bars rock steady in normal riding.
    Never noticed how long it takes to get up to temp.

Joe
    Last edited by 61996; 08-26-2019 at 02:40 AM.
    ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

I’d ask if the coolant system was refilled using a vacuum tool. That’s the only way to guarantee no air entrapment in the head passages.

Edit: Also, verify that coolant level is correct in the reservoir...

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Iíd ask if the coolant system was refilled using a vacuum tool. Thatís the only way to guarantee no air entrapment in the head passages.

Edit: Also, verify that coolant level is correct in the reservoir...

Best,
    DeVern
    Thanks.. Not sure about vacuum tool. I think fluid level look high but after 2nd visit they stated everything was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by marv-lou View Post
    Thanks.. Not sure about vacuum tool. I think fluid level look high but after 2nd visit they stated everything was correct.
    Well, I donít claim to be a certified tech or an engineer and I didnít sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but IMHO the symptoms you describe would certainly be in line with having an air pocket trapped at a sensor locationóbut I have no idea where the K16 mounts itís sensors. And if there is air trapped in the system and fluid in the reservoir, the fluid level is mootóthe system will never draw in fluid and relieve the problem. If the situation is really bothersome you may want to treat it as you would a medical issue and get a second opinion by having the fluid drained and refilled using the factory-recommended vacuum tool, possibly by another dealer. Thatís a reasonably-priced way to scratch that possibility off the list.

Good luck,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Well, I donít claim to be a certified tech or an engineer and I didnít sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but IMHO the symptoms you describe would certainly be in line with having an air pocket trapped at a sensor locationóbut I have no idea where the K16 mounts itís sensors. And if there is air trapped in the system and fluid in the reservoir, the fluid level is mootóthe system will never draw in fluid and relieve the problem. If the situation is really bothersome you may want to treat it as you would a medical issue and get a second opinion by having the fluid drained and refilled using the factory-recommended vacuum tool, possibly by another dealer. Thatís a reasonably-priced way to scratch that possibility off the list.

Good luck,
    DeVern
    Thanks so much. Will look into that

What temps are your k 1600ís averaging ?

I have a 2014 and it always runs with 4 or 5 bars, it's never been cooler or hotter for long periods of time. It has been up to 8 bars in extreme conditions but normal operations, it is solid at 4 or 5 bars.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA

Mehrten
    Our 2019 K1600GT Sport is a 5 bar temp bike.

It comes up to 5 bars in short order and generally/usually stays right there.

In hot, slow moving conditions it will go up to 8 bars with the fan coming on either at 7 or 8 bars.

All the K bikes I've owned will get into the hot zone when in slow moving traffic in lower gears when the temps are above freezing ;)

Ok thanks guys. Guess maybe mines ok then