• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nasty noise coming from the rear today . . .what is it?

LongRider2

Noticed a nasty sound while riding today. Parked it and took this video. New to BMWs (F700gs) so maybe someone can identify this for me? Thanks so much!

Have you looked at the parts breakdown? If it has the pie shaped rubbers that act as a bit if a cushion-drive that the F800GS has......Sounds like they have gone a bit dry and hard and are flopping around.
Not hard to check really. Good time to check the wheel bearings while your in there.
OM

Sounds like it only knocks when the wheel is turned backwards, at least what I heard on the video you attached.

Sorry, I can't help since my ST has a belt drive and I've never heard anything like this.

Good luck.

rear end

Sound like the four rubber wheel dampers. Hold the sprocket and chain from moving then try moving the wheel forward and back. You should not be able too. Then take the rear wheel off and check dampers and bearings.

You don't say how many miles on the bike, especially the rear sprocket.
The rubber bumper check is good advice but there are three other possibilities. The rear wheel bearings, the rear sprocket and the chain. I seem to remember having to redo the rear wheel bearings on my wife's 650 twin at somewhere around 60K. If the rear sprocket is very worn the teeth may be snagging on the chain as the wheel is rotated backwards (wouldn't make that noise rotated forward). Check the chain for a kinked link.

Removed the rear wheel and the bearing inside the sprocket hub fell out in pieces . . . damn. Ordered new bearings and will have to make a trip to a dealer for a once over and install.. Hope I didn't do any nasty damage.

What was the condition of the dampers?:scratch

Dampers were good. Intact and no noticeable wear. I am really surprised by the bearing disintegration. I have ridden many cycles in my lifetime and have never had this type of problem. Especially at mileage less than 6k. This bike was pre-owned so I don’t know what the previous owner might have done to cause such a failure.

Back