• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hill Stop Activation

nanosrt

Well, purchased a 2018 RT with Premium Pkg which I understand has Hill Stop on it. Strangely I'm not able to get it to activate on this bike. I watched a YT video where a GS activates it on an off road hill and I realize now that you have to squeeze the brake handle until the symbol is displayed on the dash. I squeezed it quite hard today and held it for at least 10 seconds and no activation symbol. I have the original MSRP sticker and it shows that Hill Stop is on this VIN, but can't figure out how to get it to work. What am I doing wrong? Or, do I need to see the dealer.

TIA

Unless it's changed on the 2018, squeezing and holding the brake lever until is how I activate the Hill Stop on my 2015 RT.

I frankly don't use it very often...I'm so used to just keeping my foot on the rear brake pedal to hold the bike in place.

Wow...can't believe that was my first post to the MOA group. I've joined so many forums lately since getting my first BMW, I guess I can't keep them straight. I've from Spokane, and as I mentioned this is my first BMW. So surprised it wasn't a car as I've lusted after a 3-Series for ages.

Have had the bike for almost 2 weeks and 800 miles. Really enjoying the technology compared to my T120. Suspension on the RT is best to date for me and she is very nimble indeed.

BTW...TIA is Thank in Advance and not my moniker :) So thanks for the input.

Finally, nice to be part of the community and look forward to participating. Will be doing my own MX, so I'm sure this is a valuable resource.

You can turn the feature on and off in the menu with the wonder wheel. I remember reading about it somewhere in my owner's manual, but after a quick glance, I did not find that specific part. See if you can scroll though the menu on the bike.

I think you have to kind of quickly "double-squeeze" it. Quickly squeeze, release and squeeze and hold hard/lots of pressure. Sorry for some uncertainty, but I haven't used it much. This was talked about very recently, maybe in a different forum, and that's when I figured out I even had it. I didn't have to change any settings. Releasing its hold takes a bit of getting used to.

OP here. Well I figured this one out. Seems I was expecting the indication to light up on the middle panel where the ABS, etc indicators are. Well the hill stop indicator is a small circled H right next to the gear position number in the same color as the gear indicator (White). It is so nondescript that I just didn't notice that it was on. As I said, I expected it to be a red indicator in the middle panel. In the training world we call that tunnel vision, or channelized attention. More to learn I'm sure.

On my RT, I can feel it activate the rear brake through the brake pedal. I usually know where on my commute that this is activated so I am watching the circle H turn green at the same time I can feel it throught the rear brake pedal. Sometimes I deactivate it by a foot tap on the rear brake just before I ride away. Not needed, but in some situations I have it off until traffic behind me is actually stopped.

Glad you sorted it out.

On my RT, I can feel it activate the rear brake through the brake pedal. I usually know where on my commute that this is activated so I am watching the circle H turn green at the same time I can feel it throught the rear brake pedal. Sometimes I deactivate it by a foot tap on the rear brake just before I ride away. Not needed, but in some situations I have it off until traffic behind me is actually stopped.

Glad you sorted it out.

To disengage I usually use a light tap on the front brake, that's all it takes. I've also read that some people are having trouble with taking off from a standstill with the Hill assist engaged. As long as I know that it's on I don't have an issue, but it does require more throttle. If I've engaged it accidentally I usually come very close to stalling out.

Enjoy the bike, I can't think of another bike I'd rather own.

Ski

I think you have to kind of quickly "double-squeeze" it.

Not for a '16 wethead--you simply squeeze it enough and quickly and it's in HS. To release, either give it enough RPM while letting out the clutch, or just give it another quick squeeze and it releases. If you're double squeezing you just aren't giving it enough with the first quick firm squeeze. Just takes a few times of getting it correctly to get the feel of it. I use it every time I ride whenever I want to let go of the right grip at any kind of stop.

I'm not a fan of the Hill Start Assist on my '16 RT. While the concept is really good, I need to feed it it a huge fist full of throttle to get it to release, and therefore prefer to use the "old school" method of holding on the foot brake.

I use hill start assist and love it. As for taking off from a dead stop I use it like this. The 'how to' part comes about the 4:00 mark. I was using this method before and now I use the HS instead of holding the bike back with my legs. This guy has some nice videos.

I'm not a fan of the Hill Start Assist on my '16 RT. While the concept is really good, I need to feed it it a huge fist full of throttle to get it to release, and therefore prefer to use the "old school" method of holding on the foot brake.
Or just give the brake lever a quick pull to release. I prefer that over having to apply more throttle (and clutch!). The concept is great, the release needs some improvement.

I use it for both uphill and down hill. For downhill I use it mostly if I need to pull over to the side of the road (an its downhill) and quickly grab something or make an adjustment to my gear and I don't want to shut the bike off. Either way, it take some getting used to disengage in terms of extra throttle.

I didn't use it to start on hills, just like other posters it took too much throttle to get it to release. I could do it smoother at less throttle without assistance, just a firm quick squeeze to turn it off, just like the firm quick squeeze to turn it on. I did find it handy to keep the bike stationary when I wanted both feet on the ground and needed to fiddle with gloves, or rest both hands at a light. Especially handy downhill, and I liked having the brake lights on too. When I traded my RT I was surprised to find it wasn't included on my new '16 GSA. It's just a software feature for the (rear) ABS but for some reason BMW couldn't/wouldn't make it available even as a retrofit.

Back