• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'14 R1200RT - ABS + ASC + Speedometer + Cruise Control weirdness (or a tale of +/-)

sebtaph

If this post triggers a TLTR (too long to read) reaction, apologies...

About two weeks ago, with my recently acquired 'therapy bike', a pristine '14 R12RT previously owned by a NC State Trooper Motor Officer, I completed a short trip from DC Metro area to Charleston, WV for a week. No mechanical issues while there, but as I was departing WV, the bike would not start. I suspected the bike may have sat a little too long (about 4 days) without being ridden (I was attending a Special Forces Assoc. Convention). I was able to look up that a low battery may 'come alive' if left alone for a bit. Within 30 minutes, all was well. About an hour or so on the road, mostly on cruise control, I had an opportunity to use my recently installed Denali SoundBomb horn while saying 'hello' to a driver on their phone and cutting into my lane. Immediately after the short horn blast, the Cruise Control switched off and the speedo needle moved erratically + ABS / ASC warning lights began to flash. I remembered reading that a low battery can cause these symptoms. I suspect the draw from the Denali SoundBomb (It uses a 30 AMP fuse) caused the erratic electrical behavior. I proceeded to continue down the road and turned off my USB tunes and did not use Cruise Control for the remaining 250+ miles. The bike continued to intermittently repeat the behavior, but less frequently. I was able to finish my 350+ mile ride that day without any major issues, although I took only one off-bike break, but left the bike running. Thanks to my AirHawk 2, my butt did not complain, much.

Fast forward to this past week, the bike exhibited similar behavior... Surely running the bike daily would not draw a battery down, right? :scratch

This AM, I ran the GS911 in Autoscan mode, no ABS/ASC error codes. The only error code was the 'flapper' one that I was promptly told (by a 'senior BMW rider') to ignore..

But wait, there's more.. At this point I started to run into dead ends online and on this forum. If it was an ABS issue, I should have gotten some codes, right? Same with ASC, right? So here I am, sitting on my couch, frustrated at myself (and the bike) typing up this post, hoping to crowdsource a solution. But just as I was about to hit 'submit this thread', I seemed to recall that when I installed the Denali SoundBomb the day prior to the WV trip, I thought(!) I had properly tightened the battery posts down... Turns out the (-) was fine, but when I checked the (+), it wasn't quite as tight as I would have hoped... :banghead

So there you have it, another fine example of what happens when you don't totally go over all of your work, in this case = battery posts...

To be fair, that same day I installed the Denali SoundBlast, I also undertook installing the IlliumWorks Engine and Case Guards, configured the GS911 to work on my Mac (HINT: Use Parallels + WIN10), plus a few other touring farkles. But before the horn could be installed, I had to nug thru (technical term) if I really needed a new EzCAN or could I just simply reuse the Clearwater CANopener 3 and instead directly tie the Denali horn to the existing BMW horn connection. Turns out, you can! Saved myself a few hundred by returning the EzCAN. All of this in about 90+F weather... So just maybe, I was a bit tired at the end of a long day?!? No excuses, just sharing how I may have overlooked tightening the (+) battery post...

I'm sure I'll get hazed for sharing my woes, but I hope others will learn from my 'experience' and instead apply it to their own 'wisdom'. "Experience is what you learn from you own mistakes, wisdom is learning from other people's experiences" :)

We’ve all make these mistakes, to keep from repeating I’ve taken to using “torque seal” on all fasteners that I verified are tight, that may in the future cause problems it can be found right next the thread locking sealant, comes in various colors

Jim

Anybody who hazes you for this either hasn't had it happen to them, or is too ashamed to admit it!

That's what this Forum is for - to share experience.

Welcome to the forum sebtaph!
Another consideration is with a bike of that age, your probably coming up to the end of battery life. The relatively small batteries in these bikes are asked to do a lot and I have found have little margin for error.
Good luck.
Gary

Happens to the best of us. When doing a 12k service with a friend on a 1200 RT, *one* of us happened to forget to put in the left side upper spark plug. Someone still put the stick coil back in and buttoned the whole thing up. When I went to fire it up, one crank and the stick coil shot out the side of the head, landing on the lawn of my neighbor two houses down. Thankfully, with a quick wiring repair, the stick coil still worked and all was fine after we put it all back together. Where was the spark plug? Sitting in the socket on the socket wrench on the table behind the bike. :doh

Now I always double, or triple, check that the spark plugs are in there.

We’ve all make these mistakes, to keep from repeating I’ve taken to using “torque seal” on all fasteners that I verified are tight, that may in the future cause problems it can be found right next the thread locking sealant, comes in various colors

Jim

GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the forum sebtaph!
Another consideration is with a bike of that age, your probably coming up to the end of battery life. The relatively small batteries in these bikes are asked to do a lot and I have found have little margin for error.
Good luck.
Gary

Thank you for the welcome Gary! Being over 5 yrs. old, you're spot on about the battery. Is there a preferred type for the RTs? Thanks in advance.

Happens to the best of us. When doing a 12k service with a friend on a 1200 RT, *one* of us happened to forget to put in the left side upper spark plug. Someone still put the stick coil back in and buttoned the whole thing up. When I went to fire it up, one crank and the stick coil shot out the side of the head, landing on the lawn of my neighbor two houses down. Thankfully, with a quick wiring repair, the stick coil still worked and all was fine after we put it all back together. Where was the spark plug? Sitting in the socket on the socket wrench on the table behind the bike. :doh

Now I always double, or triple, check that the spark plugs are in there.

OH WOW!!! Glad to hear nobody was hurt by the RT Short Range Missile! ... A fellow BMWBMW member has a very detailed, step-by-step checklist for their 12K service. I'm beginning to appreciate why.

Back