• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hex Code GS911 tool with Apple lap top.

CNRed

I'm considering the purchase of a GS-911 WiFi Hex Code analyzer.
Is anyone using one of these with an Apple Laptop computer?
Pros, Cons?
The web site is a little vague as it pertains to the use with Apple products.
Any thoughts?

The folks at hex code are very good about responding to email - maybe not on the weekend. Why don't you ask your specific question to the manufacturer - if you don't get a response from someone with experience here.

Red:

Please share with us what you find out. I, too, am an Apple/Mac guy and am curious to know what the current situation is.

Historically, the GS911 has “somewhat” (not completely) partially worked with the WiFi version......IIRC.

There have been may suggestions to a that “parallel” deal to an Apple computer (heresy). :eek

Unless something has changed, and it would be great if it had, full features require Windoze.

I will be interested in any new info. :ear

OM

The HEX CODE program that uses a USB connection between the GS-911 and computer is Windows only. I run the program on my Mac in a Windows 10 virtual machine and it works fine. You can use any WiFi device (Apple, Windows, Android) to perform emergency functions by connecting directly to the GS-911. You can also use any WiFi device to perform emergency and service functions by connecting both the GS-911 and your WiFi device to the internet and using HEX CODE's cloud server.

I own one Windows based laptop that I keep in the shop solely for using with my GS911. I dislike the Windows operating system, but it is a necessary evil. After using Apple products for several years using a Windows system seems to me to like using a steam powered wristwatch.

I own one Windows based laptop that I keep in the shop solely for using with my GS911. I dislike the Windows operating system, but it is a necessary evil. After using Apple products for several years using a Windows system seems to me to like using a steam powered wristwatch.

That's what I did too. Other than when i need the GS-911, the Windows laptop (old, cheap, sufficient) lives in a drawer in the garage closet.

My GS-911 works fine with a MacBook laptop and my iPhone 6. No problems the past year of use. Does realtime stats fine. Does reset of codes. I use the WI-FI version of GS-911 which allows the tool to be a mini-wifi network. Ask if you need further. FYI, the company service is very responsive.

Mine works fine without using a windows virtual emulator. A couple pictures of my MacBook version and GS-911 version in use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 9.06.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 9.06.40 PM.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 9.06.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 9.06.06 PM.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 167
I emailed Hex Code GS-911, asking about Apple compatibility and of couse what fits my bike. Seems Apple compatibility is not a real problem, except in the area of "logging O2 values". I'm not sure exactly what that means, or how it would effect the everyday use of the instrument.
Here is a copy of their response. They were very timely and quick to respond, seems like good people to do business with.

From Hex Code:

| Thank you for the interest in purchasing our product.

| To answer your first question, the Mac version of the GS-911wifi software has the same functionality as the Windows-based software. The only main difference is the fact that you won't be able to log O2 values using the Mac version.

| The bikes you own should all have round 10-pin diagnostic connectors. Our GS-911wifi 10-pin can thus be used with these bikes:

| https://www.hexinnovate.com/product/gs-911-wifi-10-pin-connector/

| The cost to upgrade an Enthusiast unit to a Pro is $350.

| The cost difference between Enthusiast and Pro outright is $336.

| We don't offer the option to purchase individual VIN slots, so the upgrade to Pro is the only option.

:thumbI don't know about the O2 thing, probably different software versions between apple and windows.

I purchased my wi-fi version Used from and Ebay'r for $320. Saved $80 bucks. He already used one VIN and the "Enthusiast" model allows for 5 VINS. There are unlimited VIN numbers when you use it as emergency mode on the road. See various videos on it.

Prices are rather firm at $399 from vendors/suppliers. I don't plan on have more than 4 BMW bikes in my garage, so getting it used was ok for me. Product transferred registration ok to me and I used the 2nd VIN with other available for resell or more bikes.

Price seems steep but the cost of a dealer reviewing codes is annoying. The older the bike, the more you will want to do it yourself. The Clymer book manual, GS-911 tool, BonyyardBMW and web sites have been the most helpful.

:thumbI don't know about the O2 thing, probably different software versions between apple and windows.

I purchased my wi-fi version Used from and Ebay'r for $320. Saved $80 bucks. He already used one VIN and the "Enthusiast" model allows for 5 VINS. There are unlimited VIN numbers when you use it as emergency mode on the road. See various videos on it.

Prices are rather firm at $399 from vendors/suppliers. I don't plan on have more than 4 BMW bikes in my garage, so getting it used was ok for me. Product transferred registration ok to me and I used the 2nd VIN with other available for resell or more bikes.

Price seems steep but the cost of a dealer reviewing codes is annoying. The older the bike, the more you will want to do it yourself. The Clymer book manual, GS-911 tool, BonyyardBMW and web sites have been the most helpful.

Pretty sure both my GS911 WiFis have had ten spaces for bike VINs.

The HEX CODE program that uses a USB connection between the GS-911 and computer is Windows only. I run the program on my Mac in a Windows 10 virtual machine and it works fine.

I also run mine on a Mac with the virtual machine app running an old Windows XP. As I understand, the older yellow GS-911 was Windows only but the newer red ones are Mac or Windows.

My GS911 WiFi (the red one) is Windows only for the full capability of the device. It will work in a limited mode via WiFi with my iPhone. The GS911 establishes its own WiFi signal that the iPhone can use. I can read codes but cannot clear them, and other functions (ABS cycling, resetting adaptive values, pairing etc) are not available. It is useful for roadside problems.

Back