Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hex Code GS911 tool with Apple lap top.

Hex Code GS911 tool with Apple lap top.

I'm considering the purchase of a GS-911 WiFi Hex Code analyzer.
    Is anyone using one of these with an Apple Laptop computer?
    Pros, Cons?
    The web site is a little vague as it pertains to the use with Apple products.
    Any thoughts?

The folks at hex code are very good about responding to email - maybe not on the weekend. Why don't you ask your specific question to the manufacturer - if you don't get a response from someone with experience here.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Red:

Please share with us what you find out. I, too, am an Apple/Mac guy and am curious to know what the current situation is.
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Historically, the GS911 has “somewhat” (not completely) partially worked with the WiFi version......IIRC.

There have been may suggestions to a that “parallel” deal to an Apple computer (heresy).

Unless something has changed, and it would be great if it had, full features require Windoze.

I will be interested in any new info.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I'll let you know.
    i'm hoping to call or email monday

The HEX CODE program that uses a USB connection between the GS-911 and computer is Windows only. I run the program on my Mac in a Windows 10 virtual machine and it works fine. You can use any WiFi device (Apple, Windows, Android) to perform emergency functions by connecting directly to the GS-911. You can also use any WiFi device to perform emergency and service functions by connecting both the GS-911 and your WiFi device to the internet and using HEX CODE's cloud server.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

I own one Windows based laptop that I keep in the shop solely for using with my GS911. I dislike the Windows operating system, but it is a necessary evil. After using Apple products for several years using a Windows system seems to me to like using a steam powered wristwatch.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by CNRed View Post
    I'll let you know.
    i'm hoping to call or email monday
    Don't forget they're in South Africa.
    I always had good results with email and they usually replied the next day.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I own one Windows based laptop that I keep in the shop solely for using with my GS911. I dislike the Windows operating system, but it is a necessary evil. After using Apple products for several years using a Windows system seems to me to like using a steam powered wristwatch.
    That's what I did too. Other than when i need the GS-911, the Windows laptop (old, cheap, sufficient) lives in a drawer in the garage closet.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Don't forget they're in South Africa.
    I always had good results with email and they usually replied the next day.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    After using Apple products for several years using a Windows system seems to me to like using a steam powered wristwatch.
    Well said, my friend!
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

My GS-911 works fine with a MacBook laptop and my iPhone 6. No problems the past year of use. Does realtime stats fine. Does reset of codes. I use the WI-FI version of GS-911 which allows the tool to be a mini-wifi network. Ask if you need further. FYI, the company service is very responsive.

Mine works fine without using a windows virtual emulator. A couple pictures of my MacBook version and GS-911 version in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 K1200GT

I emailed Hex Code GS-911, asking about Apple compatibility and of couse what fits my bike. Seems Apple compatibility is not a real problem, except in the area of "logging O2 values". I'm not sure exactly what that means, or how it would effect the everyday use of the instrument.
    Here is a copy of their response. They were very timely and quick to respond, seems like good people to do business with.

From Hex Code:

| Thank you for the interest in purchasing our product.

| To answer your first question, the Mac version of the GS-911wifi software has the same functionality as the Windows-based software. The only main difference is the fact that you won't be able to log O2 values using the Mac version.

| The bikes you own should all have round 10-pin diagnostic connectors. Our GS-911wifi 10-pin can thus be used with these bikes:

| https://www.hexinnovate.com/product/...pin-connector/

| The cost to upgrade an Enthusiast unit to a Pro is $350.

| The cost difference between Enthusiast and Pro outright is $336.

| We don't offer the option to purchase individual VIN slots, so the upgrade to Pro is the only option.

I don't know about the O2 thing, probably different software versions between apple and windows.

I purchased my wi-fi version Used from and Ebay'r for $320. Saved $80 bucks. He already used one VIN and the "Enthusiast" model allows for 5 VINS. There are unlimited VIN numbers when you use it as emergency mode on the road. See various videos on it.

Prices are rather firm at $399 from vendors/suppliers. I don't plan on have more than 4 BMW bikes in my garage, so getting it used was ok for me. Product transferred registration ok to me and I used the 2nd VIN with other available for resell or more bikes.

Price seems steep but the cost of a dealer reviewing codes is annoying. The older the bike, the more you will want to do it yourself. The Clymer book manual, GS-911 tool, BonyyardBMW and web sites have been the most helpful.
    2003 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
    I don't know about the O2 thing, probably different software versions between apple and windows.

I purchased my wi-fi version Used from and Ebay'r for $320. Saved $80 bucks. He already used one VIN and the "Enthusiast" model allows for 5 VINS. There are unlimited VIN numbers when you use it as emergency mode on the road. See various videos on it.

Prices are rather firm at $399 from vendors/suppliers. I don't plan on have more than 4 BMW bikes in my garage, so getting it used was ok for me. Product transferred registration ok to me and I used the 2nd VIN with other available for resell or more bikes.

Price seems steep but the cost of a dealer reviewing codes is annoying. The older the bike, the more you will want to do it yourself. The Clymer book manual, GS-911 tool, BonyyardBMW and web sites have been the most helpful.
    Pretty sure both my GS911 WiFis have had ten spaces for bike VINs.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana