Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sore Butt and Knees

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I don't really remember numbers, as such i won't try to impress with any but. I do know this, when younger, I traveled many long,long enjoyable days. As i aged, I traveled fewer shorter,shorter enjoyable days. Now ?... I spend most days right here where i am. So my conclusion / advise ....... If you are young/younger, enjoy it while you can. The clock is running faster than you can even begin to imagine...........
    Amen. Best advice: don't wait too long to take your motorcycle trip, or you will be too old, too sick or too dead.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Adventure Rider Radio Podcast -- Motorcycle Fitness: Simple Solutions to Get Fit

https://adventureriderradio.com/adve...ith-bret-tkacs

Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Another thing I do on long days is pop an ibuprofen in the morning, and maybe another one around noon. It helps take the dull the ache before it gets started. I don't wait until the kinks set in to take one, hit them before they show up.
    Doesn't taking pain killers make you drowsy and inattentive?

Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post
    Doesn't taking pain killers make you drowsy and inattentive?
    I never noticed it, it is not like I was taking enough to knock myself out. We are talking ibuprofen not oxycodone. I felt dealing with pain later in the day was much worse.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Kinda funny, but I have been riding for years, but never many miles at a time. I went in whole hog in 2005. in 2006 I did a couple 700 mile days and a 1200 in 22 hours. I documented it to turn it into the IBA, but never did. I knew I could do it, and it was good enough for me. I have done an undocumented 1,500 miles in 36 hours too. Never felt the need for the patch and license plate frame. If you do, fine, I just never cared. Now the multiple long days add up on me fast. 3-4 500 miles days and I am shot for a few days!

My buddy and I have run from Fargo, down to the Ozarks and back in four days and around 2500 miles. As I get older the long days are getting tougher!
    I read your post with a smile. I was the same as you state, doing several 900 plus one day rides with never a thought to document or ride the last 30 or so miles for an iron butt plate, until some yahoo at a rally made a big stink about not citing iron butt statistics unless I had an iron butt license plate and certification to back my information up. So the next summer, 2018, I did a documented SS just so I could stick the plate in the yahoos puss..... Now I don't have to condition my fire side discussion with a disclaimer that I am undocumented. Wouldn't want to be undocumented in a crowd of rusty buckets....

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    I read your post with a smile. I was the same as you state, doing several 900 plus one day rides with never a thought to document or ride the last 30 or so miles for an iron butt plate, until some yahoo at a rally made a big stink about not citing iron butt statistics unless I had an iron butt license plate and certification to back my information up. So the next summer, 2018, I did a documented SS just so I could stick the plate in the yahoos puss..... Now I don't have to condition my fire side discussion with a disclaimer that I am undocumented. Wouldn't want to be undocumented in a crowd of rusty buckets....
    I'll weigh in now since the original post quoted was aimed at me. I have completed the 11 day Iron Butt Rally twice. It is a major life challenge. More people have climbed Mount Everest than have completed the IBR. But I have exactly 2 documented IBA rides. One was as a club ride where ten or so of us did it, and the other was an accident where I organized and sponsored a ride and wrote a humorous story about the one other rider other than me who rode it. After that was published I got a certificate I didn't even apply for.

The entire IBA is about challenging oneself and expanding horizons and abilities. Some people do that. Others don't. Some folks do it and nobody knows. That is fine, admirable even. But that does not diminish the achievements of folks who like to have a little piece of paper to stick in the file or a frame for their license plate. Scoff if you must, I guess. Each to their own.

My original post (see and actually read #8) was not about certificate or rally rides. It was about working up to longer rides as a matter of conditioning. Then the pot shots showed up (see #12) which I did not respond to. In the long distance riding community there is a mantra: "reading comprehension matters." That is indeed true.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 09-01-2019 at 02:11 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul, I ment no disrespect for those that have done IBA rides. Myself, I just didn't care to have the paperwork to prove the ride. The multiple day rides I just can't do.

As far as reading comprhesion, your post just made this pop into my head. It might have not be where you were headed, my my mind went that way!

Paul, I ment no disrespect for those that have done IBA rides. Myself, I just didn't care to have the paperwork to prove the ride. The multiple day rides I just can't do.

As far as reading comprhesion, your post just made this pop into my head. It might have not be where you were headed, my my mind went that way!
    Not a problem - Fargo 2021

I simply wanted to reinforce my original intent. Conditioning and working up to miles is important. Shorter days build to longer day. Slowly but surely. How that played out was my original question, to which this thread still does not have an answer. Back to the OP. How did you condition over time to this pain?
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I talk to riders all the time that are shocked that I will ride 1,500 miles in a couple days, or 2,000-3,000 miles in 4-5 days. These guys ride to the corner pub and back, then decide to run to Sturgis and back and complain about how sore they are. I guess they don't know about conditioning and practicing to prepare for longer rides.

I talk to riders all the time that are shocked that I will ride 1,500 miles in a couple days, or 2,000-3,000 miles in 4-5 days. These guys ride to the corner pub and back, then decide to run to Sturgis and back and complain about how sore they are. I guess they don't know about conditioning and practicing to prepare for longer rides.
    Those of us who ride in the great plains, the southwest, and the intermountain west have a distinctly different riding environment than much of the east, This environment makes long distances easier than in, say, Rhode Island or West Virginia.

We have some day ride loops that are 400-450 miles. Easier to do when there is little traffic, higher speed limits and fewer LEOs.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Those of us who ride in the great plains, the southwest, and the intermountain west have a distinctly different riding environment than much of the east, This environment makes long distances easier than in, say, Rhode Island or West Virginia.
    Yes, but I am talking about riders that live in my area.

The point I was trying to make is many riders never ride more than a few miles at a time, then decide to go on an long distance ride and they don't understand why they are sore so they never go on longer trips. It would be similar a guy that runs a mile twice a month trying to run a marathon.

I have ridden farther east and it can be tough to put on 300-400 miles in a day with all the traffic.

Also......your riding a motorcycle, not resting in a feather bed. Some people think they have to be 100% comfy while doing the simplest things. If you truly enjoy riding a motorcycle, you won't notice minor discomforts. I regularly ride 5-700 mile days, and yes I am a bit stiff when I get off the bike, but a good nights rest takes care of that. Ride-Eat-Sleep-Repeat.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

So I just finished 8000 miles touring the US (mostly out west) on my 2017 R 1200 RT. My knees get sore after about an hour on the bike and need to stretch. I see people on GSís and GSAís stand up but frankly Iím too tall to do that comfortably. So I stop and walk around. John Gamelís solution would probably help. As would a custom seat.

Frankly Iím fine with the stock seat and pegs. I take breaks more frequently but I like to see things too. So breaks come naturally.

And now Iíll really push the envelope and say that while Iím sure I could do 1000 or 1500 miles in 24 hours, I see no reason to do so. I get it, though, I just prefer enjoying the ride.

If you can do that, and enjoy it, then I would continue to do it. I donít. And so I donít.

Just for clarification, I rode 800 miles in 14 hours on the way home, but I did it so I could sleep in my own bed. So doing 1000 miles in 24 would not be a stretch. 1500 would be a stretch. And someday I might do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwilhelm View Post
    So I just finished 8000 miles touring the US (mostly out west) on my 2017 R 1200 RT. My knees get sore after about an hour on the bike and need to stretch. I see people on GSís and GSAís stand up but frankly Iím too tall to do that comfortably. So I stop and walk around. John Gamelís solution would probably help. As would a custom seat.

Frankly Iím fine with the stock seat and pegs. I take breaks more frequently but I like to see things too. So breaks come naturally.

And now Iíll really push the envelope and say that while Iím sure I could do 1000 or 1500 miles in 24 hours, I see no reason to do so. I get it, though, I just prefer enjoying the ride.

If you can do that, and enjoy it, then I would continue to do it. I donít. And so I donít.

Just for clarification, I rode 800 miles in 14 hours on the way home, but I did it so I could sleep in my own bed. So doing 1000 miles in 24 would not be a stretch. 1500 would be a stretch. And someday I might do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love your third and fourth paragraphs. A statemant to live by as we get older. Eugene Kraemer