• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

InView Wireless Brake and Turn Signal installation

I've never installed one, nor seen one live, but all those wires are easily available below & behind your passenger seat; remove the tool kit and unscrew the two plastic knurled knobs that hold the taillight assembly.

I've never installed one, nor seen one live, but all those wires are easily available below & behind your passenger seat; remove the tool kit and unscrew the two plastic knurled knobs that hold the taillight assembly.

Thanks!! That gives me a place to start looking....

Here is their installation video. Great for someone who knows what they are looking at, not so easy for someone like me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Lwpch_HWg

rear turn signal and brake wires

I removed the rear brake light and found most of the wires that I probably need.

There are two wires to each turn signal:
Right turn signal wires are blue/black and a brown wire.
Left turn signal wires are blue/red and a brown wire.

There are two wires to the brake light, a grey/yellow wire and a brown wire.

I assume the brown wires are the ground wires and that I leave then alone.

I have to hook up the InView transceiver to the right and left turn signal input wires and the brake input wire. They should be the blue/black, blue/red and grey/yellow wires described above. Does that make sense? These wires match the colors of the wiring diagram from my Clymer manual.

Next I have to find a power source wire that is on when the ignition is switched on. I wonder if I can use the tail light wire. That light is always on when the key is on. The manual says an accessory socket wire is also good to use but that will require more digging if I go that route.

BMWTaillight.JPG

Sounds right.

Side note - I have some extra tail and brake lights hooked up, so if I connect a GS-911 or the BMW computer, it shows a fault code back there, too much current.
Nothing has ever burned, so I ignore it.

Sounds right.

Side note - I have some extra tail and brake lights hooked up, so if I connect a GS-911 or the BMW computer, it shows a fault code back there, too much current.
Nothing has ever burned, so I ignore it.

Thanks for that information. Did you hook up the extra lights to the wires I am describing?

Yes, exactly so. :thumb
I also used the tail light wire back there (gray w/ a white runner) and the brown (ground) wires (plural since I needed a couple of extra places...).

Yes, exactly so. :thumb
I also used the tail light wire back there (gray w/ a white runner) and the brown (ground) wires (plural since I needed a couple of extra places...).

Thanks for all your advice. I was able to attach the transceiver to the wires exactly as you described. Then I mounted the blinker unit on my helmet. I gave it a test in my garage this evening and I am pleased with the results.

I also have a Kisan Signal Minder installed because my model didn't come with self cancelling turn signals and I also like the way it turns my turn signals into running lights and 4 way flashers. I was worried that this might interfere with the InView unit so I removed the Signal Minder until I confirmed that everything was working with the new installation. I reinstalled the Signal Minder and I got my self cancelling signals, running lights and 4 way flashers back.

There is also a small LED light bar that installs under my tail light. This light and the helmet unit will glow when decelerating even though I haven't pressed the brake levers. Better to be seen by the drivers behind me at night when I am using engine braking.

I'm glad I waited until now to buy the unit, they are on sale at a $50 discount. PS I have nothing to do with this company other than being a happy customer!:dance

Back