• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

INDY BMW Motorcycle Dealer Closing 8/31/19

More bad news: I learned earlier this week that the Bentonville Arkansas BMW Motorrad dealer is closing it’s doors at end of September. Owners are Jerry & Bob May.

Hate to hear that, they have a good shop.
We ride to NW Arkansas each year and it's nice to have a shop close by if we need anything.

The BMW Of Greater Cincinnati dealership in Middletown has been open for over a month.. This is a “BMW only” dealer...same family ownership as Motohio in Columbus, Ohio.. I have bought five BMW’s from them over the years, always friendly good service.. definitely recommend them....

As a Cincinnatian I do not consider Middletown as greater Cincinnati.....Middletown is Middletown.

How many current BMW shops in your survey of the best ones? Are we assuming everyone lives only 25 minutes further away from Cape Girardeau than Grand Rapids?

I guess that was directed at the people of Indy, I thought I made that clear. Perhaps I failed.

I still go to Grass Roots for everything and I live 600 miles from them.

I will not call out the bad ones beyond the aforementioned dealership in Manhattan.

To answer your question I try to visit all of them that I can, would you like me to report my findings? I visited San Jose in June, they were awesome. Of course I did not buy or service a bike there, but their customer engagement was fantastic.

I visited a very well known shop in east that people seem to love, but I made the mistake of having a fairly rare Kawasaki in the back of my truck. Walked around for a half an hour, nobody even said hello.

Last week I was in the BMW dealer in Melbourne. They are a combined auto/motorcycle dealership, which in my experience, is not the best situation. They seemed great.

If I would have known I needed a report I would have taken notes. Lol.

I guess that was directed at the people of Indy, I thought I made that clear. Perhaps I failed.

I still go to Grass Roots for everything and I live 600 miles from them.

I will not call out the bad ones beyond the aforementioned dealership in Manhattan.

To answer your question I try to visit all of them that I can, would you like me to report my findings? I visited San Jose in June, they were awesome. Of course I did not buy or service a bike there, but their customer engagement was fantastic.

I visited a very well known shop in east that people seem to love, but I made the mistake of having a fairly rare Kawasaki in the back of my truck. Walked around for a half an hour, nobody even said hello.

Last week I was in the BMW dealer in Melbourne. They are a combined auto/motorcycle dealership, which in my experience, is not the best situation. They seemed great.

If I would have known I needed a report I would have taken notes. Lol.

I have visited quite a few also. Irv Seaver's, didn't buy anything and no one really spoke to me...so I don't really know about them, but they might be okay...at least they're still there. Hammersly's (Lynchburg VA) had a BMW car shop with it...nice folks, bought a '96 K1200RS from them, they closed 15/20 years ago. Lew Fox in Naperville, Il. was ok...they closed. Bought first Beemer in Springfield, Il 40 years ago...they closed about 35 years ago...but seemed like nice people. Purchased from Ehlerding BMW in Ft. Wayne in late 80's...they dropped BMW in '94. Bought a used BMW from Kegal's in Rockford, Il...nice folks, nice store...they closed 10 years ago. Bought from St. Louis Motorrad...they closed and reappeared as Gateway...still pumping them out - okay people. South Bend has had nice dealerships (three in fact), bought three bikes from one...they all closed 12, 20 and 25 years ago respectively. Bought a bike from Gina's in Iowa City...they sold out. Bought 6 bikes from Indy BMW...closing. Been three different dealers in Indy over last 30 years. Bought bikes from two of them. Bought several Beemers from Woodson's in Fort Wayne, they were borderline, they closed 7/8 years ago. Had oil changed in Grand Junction, CO once...went well. Have purchased a number of bikes from Max in Troy, NY. Never really interfaced with anyone but salesperson, but the dealership seemed above average...still going strong I suspect. Have purchased a couple bikes from Grand Rapids. Know they do good service work by my experience and seem reasonable other wise. Purchased a used R80RT in Columbus, Ohio (20 years ago) ...okay experience though they didn't talk much. Did a clutch replacement and it was fine...they're still going. Followed GM/Salesperson Mike Abt around via few dealerships in Chicago area...bought at least one BMW from him at each location. He's at Barrington now, but other two dealers are gone. Bought a GS from Sills in Cleveland...a real Mom and Pop dealer around for long time...they seemed very customer oriented. Purchased a couple of bikes from Savoy and Sportland in Savoy and Urban, Il...they have a decent shop and remain a dealer today (Savoy was connect with Bimmer cars...they dropped bikes 10 years ago.) Been to Hap's in Florida...just re did their showroom...decent family owned dealer. Been to many more...never been to Grass Roots, but have talked to them via phone...seemed reasonable.

Motodan it is pretty sad. BMW is more successful than ever in the US, but dealers have been dropping off at an alarming rate.

I think the brand and volume warrant a mom and pop shop that do it for "the love" of the sport/brand......but the corporate side makes demands that are beyond what a mom and pop can afford......However the true business people that can afford what BMW expects are not willing to do it for "the love" and expect a greater return on investment and it is just not there.

The people who own Grass Roots have a very successful furniture business that has been around for decades. The motorcycle shop just has to sustain itself. I doubt if they are pulling much money out of it. They are in a little town. If they can make the numbers work, employ 6-10 folks and make customers happy that works for them.

If you need 3-5 million start up and it is your primary business you are going to have to cover all those costs and expect a return on that initial outlay. This might work in a suburban area with a large population, with a little wealth, but if you do the math on anyone that sells less that 500 bikes a year it must be very difficult to keep the doors open. If I had the money to open a BMW dealership in the long run it would probably be more profitable to invest it in something else, almost anything else.....or sit on it.

BMW sells about 40 bikes a day in this country on average for a 6 day week. How many dealers are there? How does that math work?

If anyone thinks they are buying a bike for $10K and selling it for $25K they are mistaken. They are probably making 10% at best on a new bike sale, probably less. Now lets multiply that by the 40 bikes X an average of a $25K bike. That's about $100K a day split amongst all the dealers.

They can make it up in service...….yeah, but YouTube and forums have killed that. Dealership service is too expensive? That's because there is no volume. How about T-shirts? For decades the most profitable item in HD stores have been the T shirts, oh yeah.....BMW corporate policy has that on lockdown too. BMW dealer T shirts are almost completely forbidden.

I was recently in Australia and New Zealand. I visited about 10 HD shops and 6 BMW shops. It would be cool to have a BMW Melbourne shirt......nope locked down by corporate. While I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of crap at the HD dealers at probably a 50% margin for the dealer I could find nothing unique in BMW dealerships to purchase from Australia or NZ other than BMW branded helmets. HD store owners profited on my visit, BMW store owners lost money as their employees spoke to me and I could find NOTHING to buy.

Our industry is suffering and BMW corporate is making it even more challenging for their own dealers. The 310 bikes are a bright spot however.....

Along those lines.....

The local hardware store, running under the True Valve brand, was just told that if they couldn’t up their sales......they would be dropped. Great store with local, helpful owners are now running another hardware branding.

This “all or nothing” approach corporate mentality boggles my mind :hungover

OM

Along those lines.....

The local hardware store, running under the True Valve brand, was just told that if they couldn’t up their sales......they would be dropped. Great store with local, helpful owners are now running another hardware branding.

This “all or nothing” approach corporate mentality boggles my mind :hungover

OM

"Money is the root of all evil".

One could also substitute "greed" for "money".

As a Cincinnatian I do not consider Middletown as greater Cincinnati.....Middletown is Middletown.

No argument there, I didn’t choose the name, just relaying information... The Middletown dealership is much closer for me then riding to Columbus for service.... Also don’t have to ride the Interstate and battle the trucks !!!!!

My buddy who bought who bought a GA from them got this message.
13faec6f53837d3f66e99218b0639426.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My buddy who bought who bought a GA from them got this message.
13faec6f53837d3f66e99218b0639426.jpg

"We will continue to carry and sell pre-owned bikes....."

Hmm.....seems there's a part of the business that's of interest to them.

No argument there, I didn’t choose the name, just relaying information... The Middletown dealership is much closer for me then riding to Columbus for service.... Also don’t have to ride the Interstate and battle the trucks !!!!!

LOL....I know ... just like our airport, is actually in Kentucky....

I stopped by Moto-Ohio once, nice dealer as far as 'display' goes....never did any business with them though. Parts needed I bought from Indy .... For paint I dealt with Holt.

"We will continue to carry and sell pre-owned bikes....."

Hmm.....seems there's a part of the business that's of interest to them.
I read that as "We don't have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on inventory for bikes and parts now".

Back