Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: INDY BMW Motorcycle Dealer Closing 8/31/19

INDY BMW Motorcycle Dealer Closing 8/31/19

Received an email from Falcone BMW and their last day is 8.31.19. Too bad for us Hoosiers as I have not heard of another dealership taking on BMW (hopefully not Flat Out!). Since owning BMWs, I have seen Indy go thru five dealerships. This is really a shame because as for me, my closest dealership will be BMW of Grand Rapids...which except for the 3 hour drive / ride, is fine as I really like Blane and his crew. Anyone have an update on a future BMW shop in Indy?
    Last edited by shropdog; 08-24-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Sounds like a potential business opportunity.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by shropdog View Post
    Since owning BMWs, I have seen Indy go thru five dealerships. Anyone have an update on a future BMW shop in Indy?

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    Sounds like a potential business opportunity. Joe
    Really?
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Really?
    Sure … if your business is to lose money.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Sure … if your business is to lose money.

Past performance is not an indicator of future results.
    Question should be: If the previous owner was losing money...Why?

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Although not active , like in the past.....I hate too see this. I have done business with them, found them to be very helpful.

We have no dealer in Cincinnati , a new/newer one is said to be opening in the Middletown area .... hopefully they can meet demand.

I still think the "hobby" is hurting across the board. Two years ago H/D stock was selling for $50,00 p/share ...$70 p/share in 2014 ... now down to just over $30... That is not a good sign.

One's own favorite brand here or not ... it is the favored brand "hobby" wide.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by shropdog View Post
    Received an email from Falcone BMW and their last day is 8.31.19. Too bad for us Hoosiers as I have not heard of another dealership taking on BMW (hopefully not Flat Out!). Since owning BMWs, I have seen Indy go thru five dealerships. This is really a shame because as for me, my closest dealership will be BMW of Grand Rapids...which except for the 3 hour drive / ride, is fine as I really like Blane and his crew. Anyone have an update on a future BMW shop in Indy?
    Apparently they didn't think to send me an email...and I purchased a 6th bike from their dealership in May. And nothing on their website as of an hour ago. Think they started going down hill a couple of years ago when prior GM retired. I do believe their overall attitude played into this final act. Yes, the general motorcycle industry is having a time of it. However, the way a business does business can make all the difference. Grand Rapids practically shares the same market, but they remain afloat as of this writing. +1 when it comes to service from Grand Rapids BMW.
    Last edited by Motodan; 08-24-2019 at 09:31 PM.
    F750GS

MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Really?
    Yes, it reminds of that old saw: "...know how to make a small fortune in the general aviation service business? Start out with a large one."
    Rinty

We have a wonderful independent BMW service down in Louisville: MotoAria.

But our local dealership is basically just one corner of a huge Harley dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Although not active , like in the past.....I hate too see this. I have done business with them, found them to be very helpful.

We have no dealer in Cincinnati , a new/newer one is said to be opening in the Middletown area .... hopefully they can meet demand.

I still think the "hobby" is hurting across the board. Two years ago H/D stock was selling for $50,00 p/share ...$70 p/share in 2014 ... now down to just over $30... That is not a good sign.

One's own favorite brand here or not ... it is the favored brand "hobby" wide.
    Sure, the MC industry doesn't have the sales of the pre-bust years, 2000-2007, when everyone was getting cheap loans and every Harley owner was positive that they were going sell their used bike for more than their purchase price. However, per capita, current MC sales are similar to those in 1990's and the industry still survived. It'll be the same this time.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Sure, the MC industry doesn't have the sales of the pre-bust years, 2000-2007, when everyone was getting cheap loans and every Harley owner was positive that they were going sell their used bike for more than their purchase price. However, per capita, current MC sales are similar to those in 1990's and the industry still survived. It'll be the same this time.

I'm not implying a collapse , but I do see diminished sales, and a diminished interest in motorcycles in general. Since I am not immersed in the hobby as i once was, I of course could be wrong. And I surely hope you are correct.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Checked with INDY BMW, they are jettisoning their two surviving franchises (Triumph was dropped a couple of years ago), BMW and Indian. Was told owner (also owns a VW dealership) wants to re-designate a large portion of the property to collision/paint shop for that VW entity. And that they will continue to sell used bikes and do service work. I called because today's mail had a flyer from them to get my BMW servicing done. Imagine they won't be able to do dealer "authorized" work (warranty and such), but may maintain their BMW tech(s?).

I mentioned Indiana would be without a dealership. Was told there are a couple of people looking to start one up...not sure I believe this. However, even if they are. it appears BMW ramp ups take years.
    Last edited by Motodan; 08-28-2019 at 02:20 AM.
    F750GS

MOA #46783

Local BMW motorcycle club might visit the local BMW car dealer to explore them taking on motorcycles. It’s a nice synergy.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Car BMW taking on motorcycle BMW

Our nearby Car BMW dealer took on a BMW motorcycle dealership.

They started building a new showroom for bikes and cars with BMW's approval only to have BMW mottorad withdraw the dealership because of square footage problems in the new building.

My local BMW car dealership told me when they built their repair garage, BMW made them tear out the tile floors and do them over again because they were not the correct color tiles. It didn't matter the color tiles used came from the BMW build sheet supplied by BMW. The problem was, they were from an "out of date" build sheet.

BMW Mottorad peeved me off years ago when it put all the service oriented mom and pop shops out of business to give us a boutique experience.

Pretty hard as a dealer to sell motorcycles as it is let alone have huge overhead costs for a shop, display area and sales floor to satisfy a cookie cutter corporate idea.

I get the idea BMW wants its customers to have the same shop in Buffalo as well as Kalamazoo. I don't give a rat's behind if my dealer ship looks like the one on the other side of the coast or not.

I want my dealer to sell me bikes at a reasonable price.

I don't care if the tile on the garage floor is the right color as long as the mechanics are properly trained and do their job well.

Oh dear, I have worked myself into a tizzy! I have not purchased a new BMW since 1985 and have no use for anything newer.

Guess I should stay out of the conversation, LOL. St.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Local BMW motorcycle club might visit the local BMW car dealer to explore them taking on motorcycles. It’s a nice synergy.
    Its worked well for BMW Toronto. I had an excellent buying experience with them.

https://www.bmwtoronto.ca/