• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV/GPS plug location on 2018 R1200 RT

gride

4BB61387-B5D9-40E8-90F9-FCA4DA480C70.jpegI am wiring a fuse block and purchased an in line, late model BMW specific, power plug that is supposed to insert into the GPS/ NAV plug and will provide a clean switched power source. It’s a Denali brand plug adapter and I got their Powerhub 2 to go with it.

Problem is I’ve removed both seats and can’t find any plugs that looks like this one. Anyone know where the dang thing is ? Perhaps I need to go another layer deep and remove luggage rack or the module right under the front seat or somewhere else ?

Thank you folks.

Last edited:
The GPS power plug on a R1200RS is under the right side fairing panel.
I don't know if it's in the same location on the RT.

Thank you Lee, I looked carefully under both the right and left side front fairings and could not find a plug with the same configuration as the one I bought (pictured).

Perplexing, When I find it, it will probably be so obvious and was right in front of me the whole time. So for now I’m going to reverse wire and Install the devices and work backwards to the power source. I sure hope this plug exists otherwise I wasted $40

Hoping someone knows so I don’t keep tearing apart my poor bike.

It looks like the plug used to power the Clearwater lights. On my RT it's under the rear seat, nearly under the plastic.

Thanks for trying to help me sort this. I never did find the plug to the GPS NAV . Wiring project is on hold until I do. I’m asking Denali who sold the adapter.

Until next time...

I am super interested in this. I tapped the tail light to get my power to switch my Centech fuse panel fuses... This looks even cleaner.

What was the part number?

What was the part number?

Repair Plug part # 83 30 0 413 585
Repair Plug Part # 83 30 0 413 585 (1).jpg

Repair Plug Part # 83 30 0 413 585 (2).jpg

From the parts fiche.
Function: 3-pin for LED of anti-theft alarm, optional-accessories plug (device end). Can-bus plug that allows you to splice to a GPS power cord and connect to switched power on your Can-bus model. Middle not used, RH wire is power, LH wire is ground.

You only use 2 of the yellow wires.
Picture of K1300S
GPS Plug 2.jpg

If your bike (like most dealer-ordered bikes) has the GPS prep package, the connector will not have a cap, just follow the wiring from the mount.

Hex and Cam heads had the unused plug capped and taped on the right side of the steering head, but I think it was moved to the left side for the Wetheads.

Somewhere, I recall seeing a sketch showing the plug under the dash, behind the headlight, to the left of the steering head - but I can't find that image right now.

This one (from the repair DVD) is close, but it does not identify the electrical components the way I remember. Take a look at the wires at the indicated connector, the GPS connector should have a Brown(ground) wire on Pin 1, Red/White(switched +12v) on Pin 3, and possibly a Blue/Green wire on Pin 2.
Wethead gps connector.jpg

Please report back if this helps locate the connector. The question comes up often, but I don't recall seeing a definite answer for the RTW.

Awesome info Larry, armed with this I am back in the hunt. I’ll follow up after final disposition. Thanks !

Found the GPS/ NAV power plug connector in a now obvious place. Right under the top panel under the windshield and forward of the NAV screen location. Where the Sirius antennae and ring antennae are, there is a wire harness connected to the NAV screen spot. Unplugged it, connected back in the Denali adapter, and viola, a switched power source, forward location, near the front turn signals. Used that to connect to Clearwater Betsy’s and Schroedie Roundel lighting for a front end lighting makeover on the 2018 R1200 RTW. No faults noted and they do stay on a minute after shutting the bike off.

Back