• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OEM 49L Top case on a GS?

sonnystile

Has anyone here installed the BMW 49L top case on their GS?

There is surprisingly little info online about it. However it appears that it will install on the same set up as my Vario case.

The issue I have is that my wife can not stand the angle of the pads on the Vario. And from the only picture I have found of one mounted, this looks like it would be much better.

It holds two helmets, comes in the same color as my tank side panels, and does not require a different mount (allowing me to swap back and forth).

Anyone used one? Am I misguided?

Thanks,

Sonny
ff74f61c321caa96485aab6bc7afafae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a 1250RT that I rented in London, the top case was a 56 L Givi, which also holds 2 helmets, but my wife did not like the back rest pad as it protrudes much more the the OEM 49 L top case on our RT. The top case on the GTL looks like it has a better pad than the one on the RT and it is essentially the same case. Not sure if they will fit the GS, though. Perhaps a visit to an upholstery shop can yield a better solution for your situation.

We had a Givi 52L on a previous bike that worked well.

I don’t think it’s just the pad on the Vario. The blocky shape of it seems to create an acute angle with the passenger seat.

When I look at the picture with the OEM 49L, it appears much more open.

In looking up part numbers, it is not the same case offered for the RT. It IS the same case offered with the S1000XR.

Vario retracted:

d99ca1eeb6c6edf5f5a028d4928d9291.jpg

Vario extended:

ac8e438cf95f64985b0e409bc63b1876.jpg

New 49liter (lid not on yet):

070b09e315e7f2f186a4c41e5f3ea780.jpg

As you can see, the angle of the new case allows her access to the entire seat. And she can even lean back a little.

Mounts on the same set up as the Vario so they are easily interchangeable.

Even works on the solo tail!

Looks like a better setup for her.
Thanks for the update and pictures.

Update 6/28/20:

While it fits to the same rear rack as the Vario, (and also on an XR) a slight design variation means it will NOT fit on the BMW Solo Pillion Rack/Tail.

Bummer.

Back