• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Survived a drunk driver

ARMYMUTT

ATGATT! Two nights ago, I was coming back from dinner with a friend. We parted ways at a light and less than 2 minutes later, my world changed. Adrunk in an SUV crossed the center line at a pretty high rate of speed and nailed the left side of my GTL. I was wearing a Schuberth C4 helmet, Helite Turtle vest, Olympia mesh jacket, Olympia gloves, Klim pants that I can't remember the model, and BMW Allround boots. The bike is totaled, hopefully some of the accessories survived, like my RDL seat and Clearwater lights that weren't on the left side. I managed to come away with a smashed left foot that's going to require a couple more surgeries over the next 6 months, a bad laceration to my knee, and a minor laceration on my left forearm. I'm certain the vest saved me from further injury, especially since I was looking at the lights when he hit me. The Turtle turned my head forward and stabilized my neck. Felt like I got punched in the head, but I survived with no real injuries above my left knee. Looks like I won't be making it to the 2020 rally though.

That's about the scariest thing I can imagine, with about the most excellent result: you're here to tell about it.

You made great choices here, glad they worked. I hope the surgeries are successful, and you can then freely choose to ride or not, as your psyche directs.

ATGATT! Two nights ago, I was coming back from dinner with a friend. We parted ways at a light and less than 2 minutes later, my world changed. Adrunk in an SUV crossed the center line at a pretty high rate of speed and nailed the left side of my GTL. I was wearing a Schuberth C4 helmet, Helite Turtle vest, Olympia mesh jacket, Olympia gloves, Klim pants that I can't remember the model, and BMW Allround boots. The bike is totaled, hopefully some of the accessories survived, like my RDL seat and Clearwater lights that weren't on the left side. I managed to come away with a smashed left foot that's going to require a couple more surgeries over the next 6 months, a bad laceration to my knee, and a minor laceration on my left forearm. I'm certain the vest saved me from further injury, especially since I was looking at the lights when he hit me. The Turtle turned my head forward and stabilized my neck. Felt like I got punched in the head, but I survived with no real injuries above my left knee. Looks like I won't be making it to the 2020 rally though.

Incredible! Great display of ATGATT in the real (unpredictable) world. Glad you made it through this... makes me re-think my choices re: vest. Thanks for posting.

As much as I do not like the weight of my Helite vest, I always wear it. A friend recently ditched his sidecar rig and flew over the bike. When I asked if his Helite did its' job, his reply was if he had been wearing it on that ride, he would not have broken some ribs.

That ride was very close to home. There's never anything nasty that that happens in your own neighborhood, is there? :scratch

Glad to hear that your Helite vest saved you from additional injuries.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you were not hurt more severely. We have been wearing Helite vests for two years. Stories such as yours reinforce our commitment to continue doing so.

Glad you survived with just those injuries. I also religiously wear my Helite Turtle 2 hi viz with ATGATT:thumb.

I got lucky too!

I experienced a similar accident just 8 weeks ago. I was in the right lane going 30-35 mph when a car from the far left lane (two lanes over) side swiped me as he was trying to get to the exit. Even though it was 85 degrees I was ATGATT; Schuberth C3, Olympia MOAB jacket and Airglide pants and BMW All Around Boots. Broke 5 ribs and had a 2 inch road rash on the side of my right knee where the zipper failed on impact.

I am all healed and will be finally picking my repaired ‘17 GS.

Luckily witnesses backed up my account of the accident and the offending driver’s insurance accepted liability. I am now the proud owner of an Aerostich R3 suit, Schuberth C3 Pro and Helite Turtle Vest.

Last edited:
Glad to hear. I'll be out for about 6-8 months, unfortunately. Got more surgeries in my future before I can use my foot.

I'm sorry to hear that you were involved in such a serious collision. Thank goodness you came out of it as well as you did. I know you will be in a good deal of pain for a while, but things will get better every day. Keep your chin up and know that you are a credit to all of us. You rode well, have a good attitude, and wore the protective clothing that does credit to all of us.

Keep some of your damaged protective gear. When I had my crash I kept my helmet with its large gash so I could show my Harley friends why they really do need to wear a helmet.

If you get to feeling down due to the rehab, don't hesitate to let us know about it. You have a lot of friends here who have your back.

E.

I experienced a similar accident just 8 weeks ago. I was in the right lane going 30-35 mph when a car from the far left lane (two lanes over) side swiped me as he was trying to get to the exit.
This “taking the exit from the 3rd lane” business needs to end. It’s dangerous to everyone. I see it on every highway trip.
If I see it so often, traffic enforcement should be seeing it as well. :banghead

OM

This “taking the exit from the 3rd lane” business needs to end. It’s dangerous to everyone. I see it on every highway trip.

I just witnessed this on I-25 in Denver a short time ago. With an 18 wheeler semi, of all things. Crazy stuff!

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope you heal quickly.

If I see it so often, traffic enforcement should be seeing it as well. :banghead

OM

Makes the case for staying in the far left lane on busy divided freeways to completely eliminate this potential issue. The last time this happened to me was in LA area when someone exiting from the 3rd or 4th lane over at the last minute while I was driving a u-haul truck in the slow lane, and the kid almost hit me. I'm in the far left lane now when possible when riding until it's time to exit then move into the exit lane. Staying off of busy metro area freeways is the name of the game for me, but fortunately I don't have to commute.

Vest

My wife has been telling me to get the Helite Turtle Airbag Vest I guess I should listen to her!
Good that you came out ok.
Just saw this ad

B2DF77F6-5975-4202-A668-1D408A202E19.jpeg

Back