• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1999 R1100RS XIED install and ride

rkjjeep

Finally got around to putting the thing on. Bike was ready - careful throttle body synch, valves set, etc. The bike ran pretty well without any kind of fuel controller - I was just looking for some improvement. I added a new O2 sensor at the same time.

Removed the big ass muffler to make the o2 install easier. And put it back on.

The posi connections go ok but a plug and play would be nice - even at a higher price.

The only real issue I had was getting the fuel quick connects back in place because of the way a prev owner positioned them.

Bike started fine and after a little wait I got 7 flashes from the yellow light.

Hard to tell much difference on the first ride. It certainly didn't do any harm. Maybe a little smoother. Still a minor surge in 2nd gear at light throttle if you try to find it (I usually don't try).

Idle is better? and maybe 50 rpm higher? Does that make sense?

Anyway, it's on there now so we'll see how the rest of the riding season goes!

Edit - I meant to add that Beemer Boneyard was great in answering a few questions.

Last edited:
Hard to tell much difference on the first ride. It certainly didn't do any harm. Maybe a little smoother. Still a minor surge in 2nd gear at light throttle if you try to find it (I usually don't try).

It'll take a few tanks of fuel for the device to "learn" the new settings. It only gets better and your patience will be rewarded. :thumb

Bike started fine and after a little wait I got 7 flashes from the yellow light.

Idle is better? and maybe 50 rpm higher? Does that make sense?

Anyway, it's on there now so we'll see how the rest of the riding season goes!

Glad you figured out the pin outs for the R1100 without my mis-advice. I’m so used to looking at the R1150 and newer.

Since you’ve added fuel at idle, the engine’s torque has slightly increased. As a result you get a slightly higher idle speed. That 50 rpm increase is a sign that the AF-XIED is working.

Glad you figured out the pin outs for the R1100 without my mis-advice. I’m so used to looking at the R1150 and newer.

Since you’ve added fuel at idle, the engine’s torque has slightly increased. As a result you get a slightly higher idle speed. That 50 rpm increase is a sign that the AF-XIED is working.

No problem on the mis-advice. Your good advice has been invaluable to me.
You mean I only get 50RPM out of this thing? Thats $4 per RPM! :bow

Been riding it a bit. It does seem to get better the more I ride. Of course, I put grip puppies on at the same time and that might be clouding things a bit. :)

Still getting better. Runs very well. I set the idle and it stayed rock solid for months. With the XIED this week it has increased a ittle every time I ride. I had to turn the BBS back in about 1/2 turn each to get back to 1,000 RPM. I guess I'll take the ATF sticks with me to Southern Ohio.
Since nothing else was changed when I installed the XIED this seems to prove that the idle was very lean before, at least too lean for optimum idle.

Last edited:
Rode three tanks through in hills and twisties of SE Ohio.
On setting 7 can find minor surge at around 3100 - 3300 rpm light constant throttle in 2nd and 3rd gears. Everything else feels GREAT.
On setting 8 the surge MIGHT be slightly less - hard to tell. The XIED is not a miracle cure but the bike definitely is more rideable with it.
The area around Nelsonville OH has incredible roads - been here about a dozen times.

Last edited:
Back