• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless ride key fob?

PoorUB

Does anyone know if there is a fob available without a metal key included? Just a fob that will allow one to start the engine and perhaps work with the central locking? For some reason I thought I saw one at one time.

2018 R1200RT

All BMW fobs have a metal key. You can get just a metal key without a fob however. I guess the logic is that adding the metal key to the fob is a negligible cost increase.

If you want a fob without the key it breaks off really easy. The voice of experience... [emoji31]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you want a fob without the key it breaks off really easy. The voice of experience... [emoji31]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That is why I bought a regular key from my dealer and use that for the panniers and GPS locks. Don't want to break that FOB key either...:uhoh

When I bought my bike, the owner gave me 3 extra fobs with broken keys...

I like the idea of buying a metal key just to open up stuff. DO they cut it, or order it from the factory?

I understand why the OP might want this. I'm all the time accidentally opening the key. After reading this thread I think I'll tape the key closed and use a key w/o the fob that I bought from the dealer if I need it.

You can order a plain metal key. I think about ordering one, but the only time I need a key is to remove the seat or side cases.

For those with a fob with a broken key, you can order a replacement key for the fob.

I thought I saw a keyless fob once, but it might have been for the add on security.

So what's the price of a basic metal key cut to code by BMW? And is a blank available which can be cut by the local locksmith?

My experience, because it can easily break I ordered from dealer a separate key, which comes from bmw($20) I then taped my FOB key closed both live on same key ring
Key is not chipped, keyless ride, used for top case and seat
Break the FOB key and be surprised how much a new one is

So what's the price of a basic metal key cut to code by BMW? And is a blank available which can be cut by the local locksmith?

My dealer ordered me an extra metal key and it was about $40. Came all cut and ready to install

Here is the repair flip out key for the fob.

REPAIR KIT KEY BIT - KEYLESS RIDE

51 25 8 406 057 $20.74

Dummy key to unlock bags or seat, it will not start the motorcycle.

KEY WITHOUT TRANSPONDER CODE

51 25 7 688 674 $37.05

"chipped" plastic key,
EMERGENCY CODE

66 12 8 549 911 $64.85

Prices may not be accurate, but close.

For either one the dealer will need to know your motorcycle VIN. They will come cut to match your locks.

The nav was the total reason I bought the hard keys. It is almost impossible to get the fob key into the nav on my RS.
Gator
The GPS locks on both of our RSs work freely, but the seat locks are stiff.
I wonder if one of the wafers is not freely moving when you insert or remove the key..

Last edited:
Back