Thread: Cable Lubrication?

Cable Lubrication?

Somewhere I read that you don't routinely lubricate BMW cables because their construction using a liner and doesn't like to be lubricated. I don't know if that is just another BMW motorcycle urban legend.

However, the manuals, BMW OE, Clymer and such list cable lubrication every 5k miles or so. This is mostly for the years from the '70's to 2000 and a bit on newer bikes that still used a cable throttle.

The reason I post this is that for some reason, I have been changing cables this riding season as often as a goose passes effluence after eating corn. I had wondered if this was failure of routine maintenance on my part on all my buddies bikes and that I drank the kool-aid that BMW cables are special.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I lube cables. I use a Motion Pro cable lube tool and cable specific lube- or Tri-Flow TF20027. No specific interval, just as needed.
    Im a bad man.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Old cables yes, new cables don't need it, in theory. The liners on modern cables usually are teflon or some other embedded lube so they don't need it. However, once you start lubing a modern cable, I've read you need to continue to do it.

Hope that helps.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA 2013 K1600GT

I've NEVER lubed a teflon-lined cable, and never had one break or hang up inside. This includes throttle cables, but the CHP breaks those on occasion, maybe due to snapping it open quite hard or perhaps just not changing them out once in a while (36K miles is the recommended interval, but they'll last longer). (Do make sure that the cable distributor box is Absolutely clean.)
    All of the shops around here are quite adamant that you shouldn't lube those, because most lubes will damage the lining and cause issues; I think that the lube carrier would actually be the damaging agent.
    On the other hand, I don't see that a little teflon lube (or maybe even dry graphite?) would hurt, but I'm not willing to sacrifice a cable to find out.
    Note that too much lube in any case (including the older lines that DO require lube) will hold more dirt, right where you don't want it.

The issue is that the teflon lining will swell with some petroleum lubricants. No lube is really needed. But if you do use a lube, and then the lining does swell, then the cable can bind and the swollen, softened lining gets cut by the cable. I do not lubricate BMW cables.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    It has been my understanding for some time now that lubing modern cables will create problems. What I was aware of was that it would increase the resistance of the cable due to destroying the cable housing liner.

I did a quick search and came across the following:
    Snowbum's Encyclopedic BMW Motorcycle Repair & Information Website:
    Lubricating BMW cables ...lubrication attracts abrasive dirt and may swell the liner (a nylon-like material). Only the very earliest original-as-shipped /5 cables were not lined.
    That basically states that if you have a BMW cable that is less than approximately 50-years old don't lube it or you will damage it.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I didn't lube the cables on my '86 K75 - I lubed the ends of the cables, the round thingies. "Ferrules?" Not sure what they are called. For example, the back end of the clutch cable pulls a lever. When it pulls that lever, that round thingie must be free to rotate, otherwise there are enormous stresses placed on only one side of the cable since it is not an axial force, it is an axial force plus a severe rotation force due to friction. If that round thingie is well lubed, it can rotate freely and that rotational force will be minimized and the stress concentration on one side of the cable will be avoided.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I didn't lube the cables on my '86 K75 - I lubed the ends of the cables, the round thingies. "Ferrules?" Not sure what they are called. For example, the back end of the clutch cable pulls a lever. When it pulls that lever, that round thingie must be free to rotate, otherwise there are enormous stresses placed on only one side of the cable since it is not an axial force, it is an axial force plus a severe rotation force due to friction. If that round thingie is well lubed, it can rotate freely and that rotational force will be minimized and the stress concentration on one side of the cable will be avoided.
    Indeed. Good point. Applying grease to the cable end "barrels" is a regular recommended service. When the barrel rotates the cable doesn't flex. If not, then the cable flexes right where it attaches and strand by strand the cable breaks.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Teflon cables are made not to lubed, but I have done it with good results. On a 15 year old motorcycle what do you have to lose? I use WD-40 PTFE, which is a dry lube. When I lube the cable I always make sure there are no low areas for lube and contamination to settle in. I spray and work the cable back and forth, flushing the whole assembly. After everything has drained out, cables get reinstalled. I did this on my RT two years ago, and made a noticeable difference. Greasing the barrels is important also. Using oil in Teflon cables is a no-no.