Thread: Chain tension question

Chain tension question

Hi all,

Question about tensioning the chain on my 2014 Sertao. I’ve read through the manual and can see the sticker on the side of the swing arm stating the tolerances, however, I can’t for the life of me make out whether the measurement should be made center-to-center on the same pin, top of a plate when the chasing is depressed to bottom of a plate when it’s lifted, or in some other fashion. Looks like the tolerances are fairly tight, or at least tight enough that when I measure one way tension is off, measured the other it’s still within tolerances. Any advice greatly appreciated!

~Josh

I go same point to same point and always on the looser side of the range.

Webbike World Recommends: "always measure the lower run of the chain; that is, the length of chain that runs along the bottom of the sprockets, not the top run."

After messing with it for a while, I broke down and bought a Motion Pro Slacksetter Pro.
    Last edited by drneo66; 08-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Don't over complicate your life

I have used the push the lower run of chain up in center between wheel and engine, ours averages about 1" of travel at that point...when I tension it, maybe 1/2" or whatever the sticker/ manual shows for that model.
    Our 650 GS holds value a long time...my KTM690 doesn't

Bigger issue is to lube regularly to extend life and avoid banjo tight adjustments that stress the chain.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Keeping a chain clean is also an important part of keeping a chain healthy.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Hard use can cause a chain to have a bit different “stretch” in different points. Once satisfied, you can have a look at the “sag” in different parts of the chain run.
    All in all, the modern chains are pretty fool proof. Short of being able to lift off the sprockets, you should be good to go.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Keeping a chain clean is also an important part of keeping a chain healthy.
    Seen at local Kawa dealer

image.jpeg
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Thanks All

Thanks everybody for the info. I come out of the world of bicycles and was a mechanic for years. Cleaning and lubing regularly are part of my maintenance regimen for sure. Oddly enough, when I asked my dealer what they recommend for cleaning the chain, the response was “we don’t recommend cleaning them.” He said because the chains are sealed with o rings and such, any cleaning is merely aesthetic. I disregarded that suggestion and went ahead with cleaning using wd 40, which was what I always used for bicycle chains. After all, they’re the same thing, just smaller. Again, thanks for the thoughts!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I try to go easy with the WD-40 as it really penetrate and can wash past the O-rings. WD-40 on a rag-
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I use a WD40 on a sacrificial rag so as to not get enough WD40 on the chain to worry about penetration.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by jasper650 View Post
    Thanks everybody for the info. I come out of the world of bicycles and was a mechanic for years. Cleaning and lubing regularly are part of my maintenance regimen for sure. Oddly enough, when I asked my dealer what they recommend for cleaning the chain, the response was “we don’t recommend cleaning them.” He said because the chains are sealed with o rings and such, any cleaning is merely aesthetic. I disregarded that suggestion and went ahead with cleaning using wd 40, which was what I always used for bicycle chains. After all, they’re the same thing, just smaller. Again, thanks for the thoughts!
    I'd also disregard the advice not to clean your chain - they aren't nearly as cheap as a bicycle chain. However, a bicycle and motorcycle chain are not the same thing... there aren't any o-rings (or x-rings) on a bicycle chain (and therefore no grease). The additional friction from an o/x-ring setup would be quite a bit to overcome for a normal cyclist.

Fortnine did a nice comparison about which cleaner is best:

Last edited by drneo66; 08-24-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

chains

This is good info.

I mix ATF with 90w gear oil and use a small paint brush and use this to "wash" the chain so to speak and use a rag to get the chain as clean as possible after application. I do this fairly often as after a ride it only takes a couple minutes. I am all about protecting the cogs and also replace chains before most would. I do the same with all the bicycles but I use a thin oil for the bicycles and don't do it after every ride though I do lightly wipe after a ride.

Cleanliness is key and replacing the chain before it stretches and ruins the cogs.
    Signature