• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

jasper650

Hi all,

Question about tensioning the chain on my 2014 Sertao. I’ve read through the manual and can see the sticker on the side of the swing arm stating the tolerances, however, I can’t for the life of me make out whether the measurement should be made center-to-center on the same pin, top of a plate when the chasing is depressed to bottom of a plate when it’s lifted, or in some other fashion. Looks like the tolerances are fairly tight, or at least tight enough that when I measure one way tension is off, measured the other it’s still within tolerances. Any advice greatly appreciated!

~Josh

Don't over complicate your life:wave

I have used the push the lower run of chain up in center between wheel and engine, ours averages about 1" of travel at that point...when I tension it, maybe 1/2" or whatever the sticker/ manual shows for that model.
Our 650 GS holds value a long time...my KTM690 doesn't :whistle

Bigger issue is to lube regularly to extend life and avoid banjo tight adjustments that stress the chain.

Hard use can cause a chain to have a bit different “stretch” in different points. Once satisfied, you can have a look at the “sag” in different parts of the chain run.
All in all, the modern chains are pretty fool proof. Short of being able to lift off the sprockets, you should be good to go.
OM

Thanks All

Thanks everybody for the info. I come out of the world of bicycles and was a mechanic for years. Cleaning and lubing regularly are part of my maintenance regimen for sure. Oddly enough, when I asked my dealer what they recommend for cleaning the chain, the response was “we don’t recommend cleaning them.” He said because the chains are sealed with o rings and such, any cleaning is merely aesthetic. I disregarded that suggestion and went ahead with cleaning using wd 40, which was what I always used for bicycle chains. After all, they’re the same thing, just smaller. Again, thanks for the thoughts!

I try to go easy with the WD-40 as it really penetrate and can wash past the O-rings. WD-40 on a rag- :thumb
OM

I use a WD40 on a sacrificial rag so as to not get enough WD40 on the chain to worry about penetration.

Thanks everybody for the info. I come out of the world of bicycles and was a mechanic for years. Cleaning and lubing regularly are part of my maintenance regimen for sure. Oddly enough, when I asked my dealer what they recommend for cleaning the chain, the response was “we don’t recommend cleaning them.” He said because the chains are sealed with o rings and such, any cleaning is merely aesthetic. I disregarded that suggestion and went ahead with cleaning using wd 40, which was what I always used for bicycle chains. After all, they’re the same thing, just smaller. Again, thanks for the thoughts!

I'd also disregard the advice not to clean your chain - they aren't nearly as cheap as a bicycle chain. However, a bicycle and motorcycle chain are not the same thing... there aren't any o-rings (or x-rings) on a bicycle chain (and therefore no grease). The additional friction from an o/x-ring setup would be quite a bit to overcome for a normal cyclist.

Fortnine did a nice comparison about which cleaner is best:

Last edited:
I mix ATF with 90w gear oil and use a small paint brush and use this to "wash" the chain so to speak and use a rag to get the chain as clean as possible after application. I do this fairly often as after a ride it only takes a couple minutes. I am all about protecting the cogs and also replace chains before most would. I do the same with all the bicycles but I use a thin oil for the bicycles and don't do it after every ride though I do lightly wipe after a ride.

Cleanliness is key and replacing the chain before it stretches and ruins the cogs.

Back