Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Smashed Spark plug...

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    That would be the first thing I'd do.

Joe
    Can't hurt. Right?

Simple, cheap, just might be!
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

It would be interesting to hear from the OP about what the outcome was.😎
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

Another alternative is to find the correct sized deep socket, put an extension on it, and then slowly rotate it on a belt sander or similar. I was able to decrease the diameter of the socket enough to where it would fit in the spark plug hole of my R1150RS. Didn't take much time or effort at all.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    Another alternative is to find the correct sized deep socket, put an extension on it, and then slowly rotate it on a belt sander or similar. I was able to decrease the diameter of the socket enough to where it would fit in the spark plug hole of my R1150RS. Didn't take much time or effort at all.
    Did you mean to reply to this thread?
    Looks like a reply to the thread about getting the right socket to fit the narrow access hole for spark plugs.
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff488 View Post
    Did you mean to reply to this thread?
    Looks like a reply to the thread about getting the right socket to fit the narrow access hole for spark plugs.
    Yes, I did. I admit my post was a little off subject, but I was actually replying to post #25 (GTRider) with another alternative to address the narrow spark plug hole issue.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

CAL0987
    Ok...It has been a while, but i have finally gotten around to working on my bike! Let it sit in the garage for the winter, but as spring is coming...
    First thing that i did was pull the left side throttle body, and clean it. While doing this, i looked in at the valves and saw much carbon build up. I decided to pull the heads.
    There was good carbon build up...what a pain to remove it..on the cylinder and the valve faces! Tried many spray cans...throttle cleaner, carb cleaner, parts cleaner., nothing worked great..what worked best was (after reading a tip on another forum).....WD40 and many scotch bright pads and a lot of elbow grease! even resorted to scraping with a spackle spreader to scrape the build up ...i was careful to not scratch metal!
    Then I remembered that i needed to order new gaskets! Damn...62$ a piece! But i did find them on EME on sale for 39$ each!
    So re-assembled left side and took apart right side.. same there...looked like the Spark plug may have been lightly hitting the Piston.... carbon build up and the longer autolights...I have the OEM plugs now that i ordered form EME... Bosch
    There was also a great amount of carbon build up on the valves...especially the smaller ones..not sure if they are the intake or out. But the buildup was not just black , but had hardened to a rock like light grey...eventually resorted to scrapping and some 120 grit sandpaper to get it down to the actual metal. Noticed on the Piston there was contact wear from the build up valve hitting ...left a semi circle mark on the Piston.. that must have been the ticking sound i have been hearing all these years!
    But have both sides cleaned as best i can and reassembled. still have to clean the left side throttle body and reset valve clearance... possibly get a TPS setting a the dealer...
    But then we will see if it runs!
    Will keep you posted!
    Last edited by cal0987; 03-31-2020 at 01:37 PM.

CAL0987
    Oh yes...I also made a spark plug adapter with a bolt and pin, so that i could use a torque wrench to install the spark plugs...

Quote Originally Posted by cal0987 View Post
    Ok...It has been a while, but i have finally gotten around to working on my bike! Let it sit in the garage for the winter, but as spring is coming...
    First thing that i did was pull the left side throttle body, and clean it. While doing this, i looked in at the valves and saw much carbon build up. I decided to pull the heads.
    There was good carbon build up...what a pain to remove it..on the cylinder and the valve faces! Tried many spray cans...throttle cleaner, carb cleaner, parts cleaner., nothing worked great..what worked best was (after reading a tip on another forum).....WD40 and many scotch bright pads and a lot of elbow grease! even resorted to scraping with a spackle spreader to scrape the build up ...i was careful to not scratch metal!
    Then I remembered that i needed to order new gaskets! Damn...62$ a piece! But i did find them on EME on sale for 39$ each!
    So re-assembled left side and took apart right side.. same there...looked like the Spark plug may have been lightly hitting the cylinder.... carbon build up and the longer autolights...I have the OEM plugs now that i ordered form EME... Bosch
    There was also a great amount of carbon build up on the valves...especially the smaller ones..not sure if they are the intake or out. But the buildup was not just black , but had hardened to a rock like light grey...eventually resorted to scrapping and some 120 grit sandpaper to get it down to the actual metal. Noticed on the cylinder there was contact wear from the build up valve hitting ...left a semi circle mark on the cylinder.. that must have been the ticking sound i have been hearing all these years!
    But have both sides cleaned as best i can and reassembled. still have to clean the left side throttle body and reset valve clearance... possibly get a TPS setting a the dealer...
    But then we will see if it runs!
    Will keep you posted!
    This post says "cylinder" several times when he actually means "piston". Just to clarify!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Primo update! Thanks!!

CAL0987
    Sorry Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by cal0987 View Post
    Sorry Paul!
    Nothing to be sorry about. I just wanted to clarify things a little.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

CAL0987
    Did valves... went to do throttle body sync... very rough...would barely idle... read a bunch on throttle sync... loosened both throttle cables (yes i know you do not have to touch the left, but thought i would start from scratch)...set idle BBS to 2 turns out... would not even start / idle... just some coughing and sputtering... seems like it would only start and try to run if given gas...
    Any suggestions? seems like nothing i did in my whole head disassembly made any difference.. not a happy camper

CAL0987
    Did a motronic reset... started bike ...would only run if throttle applied...but then after a few seconds, held at constant rpm 2k-3k, would fade and stall, even though the throttle held at constant.
    Emptied tank and will get new gas... and will try to do a fuel injector cleaning...
    Thinking possible fuel pump problem?
    Have to research how to test fuel pressure..

CAL0987
    Cleaned fuel injectors...not as hard as would have thought...spray seemed pretty good

CAL0987
    Pulling out the Fuel Pump setup was fun... of course one of the 8 nuts did not come off because the bolt stripped out and i had to cut the nut off with a dremel... cant use that bolt... but i hope the other 7 will apply enough pressure to keep it sealed , as i cannot remove the bolt to put in another and have no clue as to what might fix that..
    Back washed the pump and it seemed to be working ...but i have already ordered a replacement for 70$..so i will keep it as a spare..
    It seems like the elbow hose might have developed cracks ( i read that it often does)..so there might be fuel leakage there under pressure and that might be causing the problems.
    I made another order from EME for the fuel pump hose...
    https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pr...fp-hosekit.htm
    and the Vibration Dampener had also disintergrated:
    https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pr...231damp232.htm
    also one end of the fuel sock had come opened, so was not doing its job, but that comes with the fuel pump, which i got from High Flow Fuel off of Ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-EFI-Fue...odel%3AR1100GS

Fun!