• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Smashed Spark plug...

While nowhere near commonplace, I have heard of several 16 valve K engines eating exhaust valves, including a friend of mine.

Frank

Interesting - I had not heard of instances involving classic K-bike engines. Maybe I've lead a sheltered life? :dunno

This is the second R1100 engine I have heard of that sucked a valve, a failure I have associated with either hot rodded race engines or very old engine designs built pre-WWII - but never BMW bike engines. The first R1100 I knew of that sucked a valve belonged to a friend of mine and when he asked the local dealer about it was told that "it happens" to the R1100 motors (not sure if that reference included the R1150 or not), and they had repaired several valve failures. Apparently mostly cop bikes, with the mechanic's speculation that idling too long got the valves too hot. Is this something characteristic of the R1100s, and maybe R1150s?

Burning an exhaust valve is much more common than head breakage on oilheads.
Lean running (high heat) and oil consumption (carbon buildup) on higher mileage engines cause this.
Fuel enriching systems reduce the lean running effects as the engine runs cooler.

I've seen many more 1200 oil cooled models swallow valves. They have much better fuel management but run lean as well.

Below is a typical burned oilhead exhaust valve.

Attachments

• IMGP2976.JPG
    IMGP2976.JPG
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 58
Burning an exhaust valve is much more common than head breakage on oilheads.
Lean running (high heat) and oil consumption (carbon buildup) on higher mileage engines cause this.
Fuel enriching systems reduce the lean running effects as the engine runs cooler.

I've seen many more 1200 oil cooled models swallow valves. They have much better fuel management but run lean as well.

Below is a typical burned oilhead exhaust valve.

Thanks for the info. I've not had any of the oilheads and later boxers being a K-bike person, so this is new information for me. It certainly speaks to the need to watch valve adjustments and running conditions.

Getting back to the OP’s issue... The bike is old enough to have minimal value in parting out, and the OP is going to need to make a decision on what to do—part out, scrap it, or repair it. As I pointed out earlier, I expect the fastest and least expensive path to making the bike a runner again is to swap in a used engine. Beemer Boneyard has a couple of 1996 engines on hand; can anyone verify that a ‘96 engine can be mated to a ‘98 transmission and chassis?

Best,
DeVern

Back