Thread: Lube drive flange splines?

Lube drive flange splines?

2018 R1200RT. I have the wheel off replacing the tire at 6,000 miles. Probably not necessary with this few miles, but would I be crazy to pull the drive flange and lube the splines? It seems like it is a "may as well" job as it is just a couple more bolts to pull the brake caliper.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I did mine at 12,000 miles not because I had to as much as I just wanted to. It's my way to get familiar enough with the way the bike comes apart and goes back together to not have to figure that out whilst dealing with an actual failure. Think of it as "familiarization training."

I would though make sure you have what you need. I bought the actual grease called for in the BMW manual, the grease to seal the rubber boot which is different for my bike and I replaced the bolt for the horizontal brace (I forget the actual name at the moment). It had microencapsulated thread locker so I opted to replace it with new (it was only a couple of dollars). I'm anal about stuff like that.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

I am not asking about the driveshaft splines, I am asking about the drive flange the wheel bolts too. It appears if you remove the brake caliper, and a snap ring the drive flange pulls off. Or am I mistaken?

AFAIK, know the wethead final drive is a mirror image of the hexhead/camhead FD.

This shows the repair procedure specified by BMW when they recalled the aluminum flanges and installed steel versions:http://https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/...5V141-0846.pdf

Since they are using a hefty puller to get the flange off, and heating the flange to 300F before pressing it into place, I assume that the flange is an interference fit, and there is no movement between the splines once installed.

So, yeah, you are getting a little crazy...
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    2018 R1200RT. I have the wheel off replacing the tire at 6,000 miles. Probably not necessary with this few miles, but would I be crazy to pull the drive flange and lube the splines? It seems like it is a "may as well" job as it is just a couple more bolts to pull the brake caliper.
    There is no need to pull this flange and lubricate those splines. As has been mentioned they are an interference fit and will not need to be taken apart, unless they are in need of repair, or the final drive needs to be disassembled. Nice bike BTW.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Ok, thanks guys. Saved me the hassle of a few bolts then deciding it was not going to happen! I just saw the snap ring and spline behind it, never though of a interference fit.

I will do the shaft splines next time in.

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Here's a good video to watch regarding the FD spline lube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPmjQadkIXc&t=8s
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I didn't know that these videos existed, thanks for posting. I just purchased a 2018 RT and typically do my own service, these will be a great resource.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key