• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lube drive flange splines?

PoorUB

2018 R1200RT. I have the wheel off replacing the tire at 6,000 miles. Probably not necessary with this few miles, but would I be crazy to pull the drive flange and lube the splines? It seems like it is a "may as well" job as it is just a couple more bolts to pull the brake caliper.

I did mine at 12,000 miles not because I had to as much as I just wanted to. It's my way to get familiar enough with the way the bike comes apart and goes back together to not have to figure that out whilst dealing with an actual failure. Think of it as "familiarization training."

I would though make sure you have what you need. I bought the actual grease called for in the BMW manual, the grease to seal the rubber boot which is different for my bike and I replaced the bolt for the horizontal brace (I forget the actual name at the moment). It had microencapsulated thread locker so I opted to replace it with new (it was only a couple of dollars). I'm anal about stuff like that.

I am not asking about the driveshaft splines, I am asking about the drive flange the wheel bolts too. It appears if you remove the brake caliper, and a snap ring the drive flange pulls off. Or am I mistaken?

AFAIK, know the wethead final drive is a mirror image of the hexhead/camhead FD.

This shows the repair procedure specified by BMW when they recalled the aluminum flanges and installed steel versions:http://https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCRIT-15V141-0846.pdf

Since they are using a hefty puller to get the flange off, and heating the flange to 300ºF before pressing it into place, I assume that the flange is an interference fit, and there is no movement between the splines once installed.

So, yeah, you are getting a little crazy...
:bolt

2018 R1200RT. I have the wheel off replacing the tire at 6,000 miles. Probably not necessary with this few miles, but would I be crazy to pull the drive flange and lube the splines? It seems like it is a "may as well" job as it is just a couple more bolts to pull the brake caliper.

There is no need to pull this flange and lubricate those splines. As has been mentioned they are an interference fit and will not need to be taken apart, unless they are in need of repair, or the final drive needs to be disassembled. Nice bike BTW.

Ok, thanks guys. Saved me the hassle of a few bolts then deciding it was not going to happen! I just saw the snap ring and spline behind it, never though of a interference fit.

I will do the shaft splines next time in.

I didn't know that these videos existed, thanks for posting. I just purchased a 2018 RT and typically do my own service, these will be a great resource.

Back