Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tire Pressure Monitor

And what about altitude?

I live at 9000 ft. And I could easily climb or drop 3000 ft on even a relatively short ride.
    Not that Id consider changing pressure on a single ride, but does altitude impact all these temperature / pressure charts?

Quote Originally Posted by sea2summit View Post
    I live at 9000 ft. And I could easily climb or drop 3000 ft on even a relatively short ride.
    Not that Id consider changing pressure on a single ride, but does altitude impact all these temperature / pressure charts?
    No, not in an appreciable way. SCUBA divers actually see this all the time. Their tank has about 3000 psi. The starting pressure varies significantly due to temperature (adding air increases the tank temperature significantly), then the pressure drops as the tank cools. Descending in the water (which is a huge pressure change relative to the atmosphere) does not change the pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live about 70 feet above sea level in south Georgia. Three separate times, I have gotten messages on my display for tire pressure, and all of these times is when I've gone to the mountains to the north of me. For my recent trip that occurred this past weekend, I set my tire pressures at 36 front, 42 rear, at about 85F the night before. The next day, at about 2500 feet @75F in the mountains of NC, I again got the dreaded triangle and it showed an errant message for the rear tire. Switching to that display, the rear tire indicated no pressure, and had hash marks ( -- ) instead. Without shutting off the bike, the message eventually cleared itself, and the tire pressure would once again display. Inevitably during the ride, including when I got back down to lower altitudes, it would sometimes return to the hash marks, but I wouldn't get the error again (it seems like the bike figured out the first instance was bogus, and then chose to ignore all subsequent instances). My bike has always read about 1-2 psi low, but I tend to believe the gauge, rather than the TPMS. Since I intermittently get these hash marks, is it possible that the TPMS for that wheel is going dead? It's a 2016 R1200GSA with 24k on it, so it seems kind of soon for that scenario. I find this to be more of an annoyance than something to fret over, but if I started losing air in the tire, I'm not confident that it would warn me.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

"is it possible that the TPMS for that wheel is going dead? It's a 2016 R1200GSA with 24k on it"

I had the same situation on my 2016 R1200RS where intermittently the dashes would occur on the front tire readout. In for service had the mechanic check and computer indicated it did this 57 times so needed replacing. Replaced using the extended warranty on the bike and not on issue since.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by pkpilot View Post
    No, not in an appreciable way. SCUBA divers actually see this all the time. Their tank has about 3000 psi. The starting pressure varies significantly due to temperature (adding air increases the tank temperature significantly), then the pressure drops as the tank cools. Descending in the water (which is a huge pressure change relative to the atmosphere) does not change the pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Inside the SCUBA tank, the pressure doesn't change. Outside of the tank, the Pressure (Psi) varies by (Depth / 2.25) in saltwater. So, the wall stresses in the tank will vary due to differences in internal and external pressures.

For the question of altitude (excluding temperature variations) impact on Ambient Pressure (psi), the pressure variation will be, nominally, proportional to ( Altitude / 1800 ). But again, the tire acts as a pressure vessel, like the scuba tank. If the tire was a wimpy material, like a balloon, the the tire would expand.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks