Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for the Flea Market

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 23217 View Post
    Omega Man - I presume you are not a programmer, so I'll take your post with a grain of salt. The parameters you have with your login are different then the ones I have, so you can't take a simplistic view of the problem.

Just give the problem to your programmer. I'm sure he can solve it in a couple of minutes.

No member should be frustrated by this. Hasn't the MOA lost enough members?
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    I have always gone to the marketplace from the header bar on the forum.

I just tried to go to he marketplace from the MOA home page > resources > marketplace and got the same run around that the OP and 23217 got. Not good!

23217s presumption is probably right on. This needs to be fixed.

You guys can go through Denver with a changeover in Newark- if you want. This is the first time someone has brought up taking the long way around. One click on the above bar works fine.
    I donít know what to tell ya
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Lee and 23217 -

You guys are going the long way around to get to the Marketplace. Direct link is on the forum navigation bar.

What 23217 seems to be getting bogged down in is logging into the MOA Member Management System and setting up your profile there. That's fine to do that. But it's extra effort if you just want to get to the Marketplace.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

After I login from home page > Resources > Marketplace, I Continue on "post my picture" (which I can't do), and I then skip the next step. This puts me into an end-less loop on the "We Are Building Your New Community!" page. I presume that this is the OLD marketplace. Maybe I am mistaken.

The only way I can get to the new Marketplace, and use it, is by using a bookmark from the forum after I login. But, not from the home page > Resources > Marketplace. Even if I login on the forum, and go to home page > Resources > Marketplace, I get locked at the "We Are Building Your New Community!" page.
    The issue you are experiencing is relative to the member profile pages and not the marketplace. The marketplace can be directly accessed at this address - http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/. This link is accessible from the forum menu bar or the marketplace page on the website. The forum is a direct link. The link off the MOA homepage leads to the marketplace information page that provides more instructions about the marketplace before linking directly to http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/. The link from the MOA homepage also has an extra security step that requires you to login as a member to access the page. The link from the forum skips this step to allow more direct access.

Some members have experienced a problem when logging in to the main site for the first time with a hanging message "We are building your new community." This is a known issue for our website provider that they have yet to recitfy. It affects a small number of users on their first login and the error usually can be resolved by clearing your browser cashe or rebooting your machine. I was able to login to our website as both 23217 and 98lee without any issues or the hanging error. I would guess that both of you will not see the error the next time you login to the MOA homepage.

Two separate login points for the MOA homepage and the forum tends to consue many users and that is undertandable. There is only one markeplace and, to my knowledge, all the links point to the same final location. If you have issues accessing your member profile or the marketplace, both Ray Tubbs (ray@bmwmoa.org) and myself (ted@bmwmoa.org) are available to help. You can also reach both of us from the main MOA number at (864) 438-0962.

Ted
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

Left Coast Rider
    Maybe I am mistaken.
    You are. Try not to be a dick about it.

(Apologies to the mods if I have crossed a line here. I'm getting a little fed up with the rudeness some participants display. Yes, I know it could be construed that I am now part of that elite group. )

3 Red Bricks
    I know how to access the marketplace (been going there several times a week for years) Many members do not know how to get there (hence the OPs question).

It SHOULD be self evident. The first reference (actually the only reference) to the marketplace from the homepage (which is how most newbees would first attempt to find it) is under resources.

Why not eliminate the link on the homepage under resourses that appears to do nothing but take the uninitiated down a rabbit hole. Confusing people does not seem to be in the best interest of the club.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Why not eliminate the link on the homepage under resourses that appears to do nothing but take the uninitiated down a rabbit hole. Confusing people does not seem to be in the best interest of the club.
    Remember.... not everyone uses the Forum here as their "home page" for the BMW MOA.

From a usability standpoint, that link, as well as the page the link goes to bmwmoa.org/resources/marketplace is a very important one. It provides access to this valuable resource from our *real* home page, it is persistent (accessible from every page on the site), and the page it links to provides important instructions for the use of the marketplace. Granted, these instructions could be provided on the Marketplace's home page.

The real problem is our Membership Management System's (MMS) proclivity for sending people off into a terminal loop. I might be mistaken, but I think you can't use the Marketplace until you create a Member Profile in that system. (It may be that someone's forum login also provides access to the Marketplace).

There is a lot to this MMS and I am betting that most people here on our Forum have not yet explored it. However, afaik, this "building your community" terminal loop problem has existed for a few years now and for what we pay for that service, it really should get fixed....

Here is what the MMS looks like, this is a page that lists my connections there....

And... even when it does work, the user experience is sub-optimal, imo. One goes through a process of defining a Profile and then making a post in the MMS "forum" that usually goes "Hi, I am Joe Member and excited to be a part of the community." Then.... nothing. There may be all of 15 people using that system because we never tell anyone about it. (fwiw, this is exactly the same thing we present here in our "New Members" forum!)

Those "excited to be a part of the community" messages then show up in an e-mail newsletter (do you get a copy?)... each with a link.

Click on that link and you can reply to that message, but if you want to see that Member's Profile or say anything else to them you must first send a "Connection Request". Uh...... you're a member, are we not already connected???

Here are my performance stats... I am in the top 2%, but honestly, I spend very little time there because it is nearly a ghost town *and* given that we already have a Forum, it seems like the whole "two environments" thing (there are actually three when you count the Facebook Group) is a great way to confuse people.

It would be great to see a team of qualified volunteers form to get this straightened out as we are basically spending a lot of money and time to confuse people.

jmo,

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I might be mistaken, but I think you can't use the Marketplace until you create a Member Profile in that system. (It may be that someone's forum login also provides access to the Marketplace).
    I am mistaken, you can go to the Marketplace if you're only logged in to this Forum. Another UX thing bound to cause confusion.

Maybe we should do some kind of a marketing programs that encourages all members to log in to the MMS and complete their profile?