• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Did the plugs get longer?

mkjwood

2010 RT. Hey ladies and gentlemen. Just finished changing the plugs myself for the first time and noticed something strange. Shouting out to the more experienced of the bunch.
All four plugs went in fine without cross threading and tightened to 12 Nm. Old plugs came out with cruch/flange washers. Same exact plugs used in replacement. Top plugs took the coil to flush. Bottom plugs showed a little white ceramic above the coil. I pushed pretty hard and no change. Covers went over the top coils fine but not the bottom. On both sides I couldn't get the slotted cover with three screws to mate all the way up to the holes. The coil was sitting low and no amount of pressure would get cover up high enough. No wires were trapped, all wire guides were in place. This suggested again that the bottom coils weren't all the way in but reseating them gave the same result.
So I dremelled the two pairs of curved coil supports on the inside of the coil covers down about 2mm and wrapped it up. Started like always and will test ride this afternoon.
What am I missing? How will I know if the bike's only firing one plug per cylinder?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Mark

Welcome, Mark! I hope some of the other members that have done this before will stop by shortly.

I was wondering...what model year is the bike? And what is the plug type and model? I'm not that familiar with the R1200RT...are the top and bottom plugs the same size? Could the plug types have been swapped top to bottom?

On his bike, all 4 plugs are the same.

We’d rather hear replaced with specified plug rather than replaced with same plug taken out.

New plugs were on spec per BMW Boneyard. Can't remember NKG model but it was on spec and replaced same. That's the source of the confusion. Just didn't seem same size vv the coil connector on the lower plug.

I just recently changed plugs in my 2013 RT and spec is NGK MAR 88B -JDS

33c118000c77ea6f55ea3c2e64db2e42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back