Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Peter Fonda ... dead at 79

Movie trailer and full movie to Wild Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    You can’t judge Easy Rider by watching it today—it is a period piece, and that period—with its linguistics and cultural overtones—might seem dated or stilted in today’s world. But in the setting of its day, it was a movie that deeply resonated with not only motorcycle riders of the day but with the youth in general. And in that sense, yes-it was a great movie.

Best,
    DeVern
    We have probably wandered off-topic- but into a productive field perhaps. Considering the conditions you set for greatness, then yes, it is great. It's "resonance" to me was to a drug taking, motorcycle wanting, counter-culture embracing young man. In ways it was even formative, not necessarily in a healthy way! In thinking of your comments I thought of "Birth of a Nation" and ran across the article linked below; it is longish but wrestles with some of the ideas you present and comes down on the "great" side. Interesting:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...-a-nation-1915

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    You can’t judge Easy Rider by watching it today—it is a period piece, and that period—with its linguistics and cultural overtones—might seem dated or stilted in today’s world. But in the setting of its day, it was a movie that deeply resonated with not only motorcycle riders of the day but with the youth in general. And in that sense, yes-it was a great movie...
    And that sums it up succinctly. The movie had a major impact on me in my twenties, but when I watched it a few years ago, I thought it was a bit stupid. But I'm still a fan of Peter Fonda, and for many years I had the 6 foot poster of him on the Captain America bike, on my bed room wall.

As for whether it was a great movie, that's just a matter of semantics.
    Rinty

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    But I'm still a fan of Peter Fonda, and for many years I had the 6 foot poster of him on the Captain America bike, on my bed room wall......
    .....until your wife made you take it down?

Sorry, it couldn't be helped.

Well, I did not know Mr Fonda so i cannot comment on him as a man/person. As an actor ? I thought he was pretty bad. The movie 'Born to be Wild' I thought it was horrible, as for the motorcycle? a piece of junk.

I liked a few of his dad's movies though.

Now ..... Let's talk about his sister ......... on second thought maybe I'd better not............
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Well, I did not know Mr Fonda so i cannot comment on him as a man/person. As an actor ? I thought he was pretty bad. The movie 'Born to be Wild' I thought it was horrible, as for the motorcycle? a piece of junk.

I liked a few of his dad's movies though.

Now ..... Let's talk about his sister ......... on second thought maybe I'd better not............

No Matter Where I went, There I was...

Nick Kennedy
    I watched the movie
    Wild Angels last night
    Never seen it before
    I grew up in Venice Beach, my parents moved there in 1963 from Santa Monica to be part of the Marina Del Rey which was breaking ground.
    For 2-3 years the Venice chapter of the Hells Angels were living about 350" from my parents back gate.
    We Lived on Washington and Beach ave and their house was at Grayson and Washington St.
    The movie was no exaggeration of how incredibly BAD and rough they were. The cops were over there it seemed like daily.
    About once every two weeks they had a full on raid on the Angels, didn't seem to slow them down much.
    They were drinking beer and openly smoking weed in the morning, back when it was highly illegal.
    I believe they were living at that house from roughly 1967-1969
    Several times other gangs showed up and they would have it out. Only fists thou no knives or guns, as I recall.
    You could tell when the cops showed up everyone would start up at once and flee, they were afraid of the cops.

I was about 10-12 then cruising on my stingray with my friends, we rode by them fast.

It was great in the movie seeing Venice in '66, The unrenovated Canals, which are still there and the house where Loser died.

When Fonda walks out on the beach after Loser dies the view is to the north before Venice Pier was built, open beach.
    Early in the Movie they go to the town of Mecca.
    Mecca is still there out north of the Salton Sea. It is still a poor rough as guts Hispanic hell hole, we drove through there a couple of years back in our van, we locked the doors and didn't stop.
    What a Retro motorcycle piece IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by bc1100s View Post
    .....until your wife made you take it down?
    :d

It has been a while since I saw "Ulee's Gold". As I recall it was an ok movie - trailer below -

Nick Kennedy
    Tonight surfing on YouTube came across a old "12 O'clock High" episode with Peter Fonda as a very young and very good looking guest star
    The Episode is called "Sound of Distant Thunder"
    Well worth seeing for you Peter Fonda fans.