Thread: Fork rebuild parts for R100/7

Fork rebuild parts for R100/7

Hi all,

Returning to the MOA group because I picked up a low miles '78 R100 in need of TLC. I'll be starting with the front and working my way back. At the moment, I'm looking for good places to buy things like steering head bearings, fork seals and for gaiters. And the manual I bought for the bike recommends 5w fork oil. Do you agree with this?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! What part of the country do you live in? Maybe there's someone near you.

If you wanted to get exactly what you need, a great person to contact would be Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage (east Pennsylvania):

http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

Call and tell him your VIN and he'll get you just what you need.

Ted Porter on the west coast the Beemer Shop probably can do the same thing.

As for a dealer, I've heard that Rusty at Max BMW (Connecticut store??) knows his BMWs and can be sure you get the right stuff. I think you get M&Ms with your order from them.

As for fork oil weight, that's something of a personal choice. Too thin and the front end dives. Too thick and the front end is way too stiff. Ask the people you talk to for their suggestion. I think you should shoot for something like 7.5wt to start with.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks for the welcome and info. I'm a west coaster.

+2 on 7.5 wt. Look closely at the lower steering head bearing race. I recommend not changing it unless necessary as it's both hard to remove and then to seat properly.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

I did my forks last year on my 1980 r100rt. I got parts at different place , google what you need and year and model of bike,some stuff I got from England, motoworks.co.uk,which sometimes is cheaper then in US and faster shipping.They have some parts I couldnt find in US.

Hi Cali - if that means you're in California, we have a LOT of dealers, plus after-market outfits... https://www.bmwmoa.org/general/custo...page=statedata

And now that you're a member, the Anonymous Book that you'll be receiving soon has a lot of those after-market places.

All great info. Looks like I've landed in the right place!

Since you are on the west coast, give Ted Porter @ the Beemer Shop a call. Great place for airhead parts, service, and info. They are in Scotts Valley, close to San Jose, Ca. cheers.

If you're going to pull the forks apart, consider getting Racetech springs and Cartridge Emulators. They are a significant upgrade at a reasonable price.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    If you're going to pull the forks apart, consider getting Racetech springs and Cartridge Emulators. They are a significant upgrade at a reasonable price.
    That's a good idea. I installed them in a set of vintage Betor forks a while ago. I seem to remember they required the shorter springs, as sold by Race Tech. Is that true for the BMW installation? And speaking of that, has anyone posted a how-to for doing this?

Anyname should know! Here are his posts on Racetech installs:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...h-Brembo-forks

Here's a different thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Valve-Emulator
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!