• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ignition switch / Steering lock

flhfxd

My 1999 RT has 2 positions for steering lock: locked with headlight OFF / locked with headlight ON. Is there any practical use for leaving the bike with the steering locked and the headlight ON? I inadvertently left the bike parked and didn't see in the sunshine that the light was on. Caught it though and all was well but I've been wondering about the purpose behind this set up. Thx.

When you have to abandon your motorcycle beside the Autobahn in the dark and wish for the wrecker driver to see it so it can be retrieved you might lock it with the light on. Otherwise I would consider it a fool's errand. In fact, those locks are used so seldom that they sometimes stick. Once in a campground in Montana Voni's R1100RS was inadvertently locked. It took over an hour to manage to unlock it. Large quantities of WD40 were used with abandon. The alternative was to get it towed 200 miles to the dealer in Missoula so the dealer could use large quantities of WD40 and an hour of labor to unlock it. It has never been locked since, and won't be unless once again by accident.

1996 RT Steering Lock

I've also never used mine so is it a good idea to shoot some oil on the lock pin or? Is there a way to access it?

I do a lot of lock work. Locks are mechanisms and mechanisms need to be maintained. If locks or the related mechanisms are kept working- occasionally exercised, they should work as well as anything that has been maintained.
I recommend Tri-Flow #TF20027.
OM

1996 R1100RT steering lock

Thanks. I just looked it up and looks like good stuff. Can you access the steering lock pin to squirt this on? I assume you wouldn't shoot this into the ignition switch. Thanks, oldcarman Jim

I use in in the locks and around the locks. If things are real dirty- when the lubricating fluid run-off is discolored, WD-40 can be used as a “flushing” solution.

These steering locks are like the parking brake on a car. If you can’t remember the last time you used it.....it may stick when used.
OM

Back