Thread: Tire question....what kinda tires are these?

Tire question....what kinda tires are these?

I saw this in the marketplace and had a question on the tires. These look like car tires as they seem to have a distinct "edge" to them that would prevent leaning this bike too far. Are my eyes deceiving me?

tire1.pngtire2.png

Maybe the "edge" is because they were ridden with lower than normal pressures? The Contis were one of the original speced tires for the early Airheads...I used these on my /7 early on. The placard on the frame says to put 27 psi in front and 25 in the rear. Those are way too low for current tires.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

AKA: Continental RB2 (front), and Continental K112 (rear). Probably worth a few points for concours show bikes; less optimal for ones that are still ridden. From the nubbies in those pics, these haven't seen much use on curves.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khittner View Post
    AKA: Continental RB2 (front), and Continental K112 (rear). Probably worth a few points for concours show bikes; less optimal for ones that are still ridden. From the nubbies in those pics, these haven't seen much use on curves.
    These tires (RB2 and K112) are still available as new tires from Continental with an updated rubber compound. They were available as original tires on /5 bikes in 1970. I would not suggest riding on 49 year old rubber, but the current rubber is ok. Not the best tires as far as grip or mileage currently available, but certainly correct if just showing the bike.

In the day, they were excellent tires. Tires are probably the biggest improvement in motorcycling in the last 30 years. Remember, it is just two little rubber patches separating your butt from the pavement.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

As I looked a little closer especially in the rear what I thought was a shoulder was really more of a chicken strip. The dark to like was playing tricks on my eyes.

Tires also referred to as the “Conti Twins.”

I’ve read Tom Cutter recommending their use for the “original” feel.

They were horrible over rain grooves ... and then everyone went to Metzeler ME-33 fronts.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

P Monk

what kind of tires are these?

Probably the worst tires I ever had on my /6. Down here in the swampy gulf coast, going over a bridge over the intercoastal waterway near Hackberry Louisiana these tires will give you a heart attack when you hit about 50 yards of bridge grating. I recommend Conti Go or Avon Roadrunners.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

I'll second that - fair on ordinary asphalt, but on grooves or gratings, "squirrely" is a diplomatic understatement!
    Nowadays, the only reason to use 'em would be if a purist requires "the look".