• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1999 1100RT , rear brake rubbing on rotor

RICH7196

just had new brake lines put on & rear caliper rebuilt 1200 miles ago.. while riding over weekend i stopped.. for whatever reason put my hand on rear rotor.. very very hot.. and my foot was no where near brake lever.. when i got home put bike on center stand.. looks like pads are rubbing in 1 spot of rotor when i slowly spin tire.. thoughts? a very good shop put the lines in, and have a very good reputation, I've been using shop for 10 years.. called owner, bringing bike in tomorrow.. I've checked fronts after ride.. they are hot, and should be.. i use them all the time.. rarely use rear.. FYI: rear master cylinder was not changed out..

"Hot" is a relative term. Check the brake drums on a fully loaded semi from 60 MPH to 0, one application, and that is hot, but normal.

I would be concerned if you had a dragging brake and that's easy enough to check. One hand, quick spin, you get a 1/4 turn, your fine.

Holding hand on rotor for 5 seconds and almost burning .. without using rear brake ? Something is wrong I think

Too much fluid?
Wrong pads?
Master cylinder not allowing fluid to return when pedal is released? Pinched hose?
Seals on pistons not allowing pad(s) to retract?

Couple of things come to mind, when the caliper was rebuilt did they clean and lubricate the pins both halfs of the caliper ride on, could be hanging up there. See if they adjusted the rear brake pedal, there should be play between the link from the pedal to where is goes into the master cylinder.

It's been a while, but I thunk the 1100s had "partially-linked" brakes - the front brake lever also activates the rear brake, but the rear brake lever does not activate the front.
Yeah, BC!
So now Rich can ask "how hot should it get normally anyway"...

It's been a while, but I thunk the 1100s had "partially-linked" brakes - the front brake lever also activates the rear brake, but the rear brake lever does not activate the front.
Yeah, BC!
So now Rich can ask "how hot should it get normally anyway"...

Not sure how you meant your response.... perhaps the R1100S had some kind of linked brakes.
However, the original poster has the R1100RT which I can assure you does not have linked brakes. Front and rear circuits are totally independent. The comment about the guide pins is spot on. If either of the two guide pins in the rear caliper has any corrosion the caliper halves will not move freely and will keep the pads against the rotor. This is easy to check.

Thanks, Mike! I was actually writing "plural" there, not referring the "S" version ... but there have been a few iterations of the ABS over the years.

Back