Thread: 2008 K1200S: Fuel gauge

2008 K1200S: Fuel gauge

Folks,
    Imay have an issue with my fuel gauge. The other day, the bike left me sanded, and all along the gauge indicated half tank. Yet, the next day, when I oppened the tank, I saw it was dry.

Anybody here has had issues with the fuel gauge system on their Ks?

Thanks

Check the similar threads at the bottom of the page.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ortizfja View Post
    Folks,
    Imay have an issue with my fuel gauge. The other day, the bike left me sanded, and all along the gauge indicated half tank. Yet, the next day, when I oppened the tank, I saw it was dry.

Thanks
    If it's the dreaded fuel strip problem then you can probably get it fixed under warranty/recall. A couple of years ago I bought a used 2005 K1200S and experienced the fuel strip failure. Even though I didn't purchase the K1200S from the local BMW dealer, they fixed it for free -- twice -- and despite the fact that the the 12-year recall period had ended. (Plug) This was IronHorse M/C in Tucson -- a first class outfit. (I may be mistaken about the 12-year recall limit.)

Now the symptoms of both of my fuel strip failures were just the opposite of your problem: my fuel gauge started the count-down and then said empty when the tank was half-full.
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

Folks,

Thanks
    Didn't it seem like you had gone an awful long way on that top-half a tank of gas?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Didn't it seem like you had gone an awful long way on that top-half a tank of gas?
    Paul,
    Hard to say. Bought it last October/November, then it wasnt until recently that I took it out of the garage. I don't remember if I put gas on it last season.

So due to the on and off timing, I cant tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 75450 View Post
    If it's the dreaded fuel strip problem then you can probably get it fixed under warranty/recall. A couple of years ago I bought a used 2005 K1200S and experienced the fuel strip failure. Even though I didn't purchase the K1200S from the local BMW dealer, they fixed it for free -- twice -- and despite the fact that the the 12-year recall period had ended. (Plug) This was IronHorse M/C in Tucson -- a first class outfit. (I may be mistaken about the 12-year recall limit.)

Now the symptoms of both of my fuel strip failures were just the opposite of your problem: my fuel gauge started the count-down and then said empty when the tank was half-full.
    I will check with the dealer.

Folks,

Thanks
    I believe you; like many of us have had a " fuel strip failure" I think BMW will pick up the cost of parts/ repair at the dealer.

I have had this happen twice+ have learned to watch my " miles", as well as the fuel gage.

Good Luck!