• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Gear and Apparel at Revzilla

I am sure that anyone with a good relationship with their dealer can get better pricing than buying from Revzilla.

Yes ... plus you must absolutely be friends with your dealer and buying some rider gear there is another good way to maintain the relationship.

BMW sells about 12,000 new bikes a year in the US and I am positive that allocations are decisions made by humans. I know dealers that didn't want as many F800 bikes but got them anyway and others wanted GSs they didn't get.

You might be right. Time will tell.

Paul, the root of production allocation is simple math based on sales/travel rate as suggested earlier, and dealers do have a great deal more control over their allocations than you have suggested. When we are allocated production slots, we can opt out of as many of them as we wish. When we do, they go into a "free game" pool where any other dealer (same country/market) can pull them into their own pipeline. I can shed as many production units as I wish, and in turn generally pick up as many additional units as I can sanely afford... and I keep one of the bigger inventories in the US.

I figure BMW already knows about this. Especially if Revzilla is selling any volume at all. IF BMW had a problem with that, it would already be shut down.

BMW has a very real problem with it... both in that it is happening, and they are experiencing some legal obstacles from doing anything about it - from what I understand from a source who is involved.

Paul, the root of production allocation is simple math based on sales/travel rate as suggested earlier, and dealers do have a great deal more control over their allocations than you have suggested. When we are allocated production slots, we can opt out of as many of them as we wish. When we do, they go into a "free game" pool where any other dealer (same country/market) can pull them into their own pipeline. I can shed as many production units as I wish, and in turn generally pick up as many additional units as I can sanely afford... and I keep one of the bigger inventories in the US.

Thanks. I'm glad to know some of the stories I have been told are not true. Grumbling I guess.

BMW has a very real problem with it... both in that it is happening, and they are experiencing some legal obstacles from doing anything about it - from what I understand from a source who is involved.

Assume P5 is fuller than what's been traditionally the case. Between the closing of dealerships (units returned), sag in some region's sales and dealers' option to divert potential inventory, has to have the warehouse bulging.

It is one thing to recognize there is a fire, and come running with a bucket of water to show the "Dealers" you are there to put the fire out. But if you don't throw the bucket of water....the fire continues. There may be legal loopholes, and BMW may want to close them. Or not. Just like with vehicle inventory, that can be squeezed down if out of control ( the "Dealer" selling to Revzilla). I will say that if Revzilla is selling a good volume of BMW gear, that is a fire that BMW might not want to put out quickly.

Assume P5 is fuller than what's been traditionally the case. Between the closing of dealerships (units returned), sag in some region's sales and dealers' option to divert potential inventory, has to have the warehouse bulging.

BMW sales are doing pretty good overall. They are pretty good at managing inventory, proven by the lack of many year old models you will find for sale at a BMW dealership. Check Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha and compare that.

BMW may be different, but when the Dealership gets the inventory they OWN it. Financed or not, it doesn't simply go back to BMW. Now BMW ( assuming they act somewhat like OEM's I have experience with ) may try to move these bikes to other dealers when a store closes. The hot selling models are easy to do that with. Maybe you have to take an 800GT to get a couple GSA's?

Diverting or deselecting units assigned to you is standard practice with import Dealers. And yes, there is a chess match involved. You want 5 GSA's, ok says the BMW rep, you will need to take 2 of these to get the GSA's.......

Well if stock was at dealers at a competitive price I think much more would sell. In 2010 when I arrived at the Redmond Rally sporting a mix of pirate gear and day glow attachments I had no thought of picking up riding gear but a dealer (don't remember which) came with a truckload of BMW gear priced really well in almost all sizes. I shipped home a full BMW Rallye Suit purchased at nearly half the cost it would have been in Canada. It was not because of branding but because it was and still is perfect for me. Since then there is of course much more quality competition out there which puts more pressure on pricing.

What's different between all the high buck gear? A couple are made here. BMW stuff has, a BMW patch. Which is a signal of some kind. Tried to buy a patch at a dealer few years back. No patches. They could'a made a three hundred percent profit on a 3 cent item. Was in a box store yesterday, rack of caps with major auto brands patches. What goin on?

When a person puts on any branding, on their person, it becomes a walking commercial. Advertising equals sales. A three cent patch goes on forever, on any hat or jacket, or t-shirt.

Have a couple of BMW's caps with rubberized Roundels on them. Always figured I could buy any worthwhile motorcycle apparel, sew a Roundel from the cap on them....increase that apparel's worth by 40%, at least. Think the cap cost $20 or $25...take the Roundel off, cap worth maybe $10.00? It's cost (worth ???) is mostly in that "magic" emblem. Harley learned that a long time ago, but they haven't sought to price themselves out of much of the marketplace.

Marketing through another outlet other than actual dealers seems like a no-brainer. Depends on their marketing strategy. Sell more or protect the roundel.

One other point about Revzilla is that their website is on point with respect to customized searches, including searches for moto accessories compatible to your bike. At least a few dealer websites are well behind in that respect. My local dealer has both BMW branded stuff and Klim. The BMW stuff is separate in a room that makes one think of an upscale clothing retailer.

FWIW, there is BMW branded gear on Amazon.

Back