Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW Gear and Apparel at Revzilla

Danimal

BMW Gear and Apparel at Revzilla

Has anyone noticed that Revzilla is now selling BMW Riding Gear and Apparel? I am curious as to the business reason for this and how the dealer network feels about it. I was at my dealer today for service and no one seemed to know anything about it. You can search any BMW item on Revzilla’s site and the item comes up just like it is on the BMW catalog.

BMW dealers are online, too. I’d venture Revzilla is required to sell at suggested retail.

Personally, I buy BMW gear the weekend after Thanksgiving.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/g/Gear.html
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The dealer network isn't pleased, especially since from what I understand it's one of our own who found a loophole in their dealer agreement, created by a law specific to their state, that is allowing them to supply the goods... so Revzilla isn't held to any MAP standard by BMW because BMW isn't wholesaling to them. I'm quite certain BMW is equally unimpressed, and taking action to prevent this from continuing... at least that's what I got out of a deliberately vague conversation with someone who is directly in the loop. FWIW.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

I guess I dont understand why this is a bad thing? If Revzilla can apply some downward price pressure I see that as a positive step for consumers.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Seems like the mothership is always pi$$ed about something. With what looks like the least amount of outlets (dealers) for branded products, maybe they are trying to prove Harley-Davidson wrong.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I looked at the Revzilla website and counted 87 different BMW Motorrad items for sale on that site. Boots, gloves, jackets, pants, lifestyle accessories and a range of other things. Prices seemed to be what dealers would charge for the same items.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I guess I dont understand why this is a bad thing? If Revzilla can apply some downward price pressure I see that as a positive step for consumers.
    If Revzilla is sourcing product through the dealer channel they won’t have much markup room, if any, to apply downward pressure on pricing. The main thing Revzilla brings to the table is internet availability coupled with liberal return/exchange policies. And you can get most of that at the BMW dealers running online stores, so I don’t see much to be gained for the consumer.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

The warranty issue my get a little muddy if bought from an unauthorized retailer...
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I guess I dont understand why this is a bad thing?
    You would if you were actively trying to maintain sustainable profitability in a declining industry...

Prediction: The dealership that is wholesaling this stuff to Revzilla will soon no longer be a dealer. I like Revzilla, and many dealerships, but BMW will stop this ASAP. I know a few dealerships that do not sell BMW apparel because of the strict display and inventory requirements. I know they would love to just take orders to fulfill too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Prediction: The dealership that is wholesaling this stuff to Revzilla will soon no longer be a dealer. I like Revzilla, and many dealerships, but BMW will stop this ASAP. I know a few dealerships that do not sell BMW apparel because of the strict display and inventory requirements. I know they would love to just take orders to fulfill too.
    FTR - BMW requirements are not as prohibitive as some other manufacturers...

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    FTR - BMW requirements are not as prohibitive as some other manufacturers...
    Agreed. But ...
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    I am sure that anyone with a good relationship with their dealer can get better pricing than buying from Revzilla.
    Salestax with my discount is a moot point too and will be in most cases for many people given the break many dealers will give..
    It's how I ended up with three suits...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    With restraint of trade laws and state laws governing franchisee/manufacturer relationships, it can be pretty difficult for a manufacturer to control what a franchised dealer does.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I am sure that anyone with a good relationship with their dealer can get better pricing than buying from Revzilla.
    Absolutely...