Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW Gear and Apparel at Revzilla

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    With restraint of trade laws and state laws governing franchisee/manufacturer relationships, it can be pretty difficult for a manufacturer to control what a franchised dealer does.
    Wait till they see the next allocation of inventory.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Wait till they see the next allocation of inventory.
    Even that is pretty difficult to control in this day and age. I don't specifically know how BMW allocates their motorcycle production, but within the auto industry it's all done by computer now. Dealers earn a share of the production based on how quickly they're turning inventory and how much stock they currently have (i.e. days supply). Manually taking a dealers allocation away would be a sure route to the courthouse, where the manufacturer would lose big time.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Even that is pretty difficult to control in this day and age. I don't specifically know how BMW allocates their motorcycle production, but within the auto industry it's all done by computer now. Dealers earn a share of the production based on how quickly they're turning inventory and how much stock they currently have (i.e. days supply). Manually taking a dealers allocation away would be a sure route to the courthouse, where the manufacturer would lose big time.
    BMW sells about 12,000 new bikes a year in the US and I am positive that allocations are decisions made by humans. I know dealers that didn't want as many F800 bikes but got them anyway and others wanted GSs they didn't get.

You might be right. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Voni; 08-28-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    I am lucky enough to have 3 or 4 BMW Motorrad Dealers here in the Houston area.

I don't think I have seen more than a couple pieces of BMW riding gear displayed at any one of them.

BMW Motorrad has to make a profit too, and selling more of the riding gear would be good all around. As mentioned, Harley-Davidson has proven that.

I figure BMW already knows about this. Especially if Revzilla is selling any volume at all. IF BMW had a problem with that, it would already be shut down.

I suspect, especially in single line BMW dealers, that stocking ANY BMW riding gear and the displays for it is probably more of a burden than a profit they can count on.

Think about it, how much BMW gear do you actually see on riders? Yes, it is out there. BMW enthusiasts that go to rallies, but mostly I see Aerostich, KLIM, and Olympia.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    ^ I think you are right as even my dealer doesn't have as much in stock as normal, however they could be waiting for the new collection to come out and don't want to deal with 'old' stock.....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I am sure that anyone with a good relationship with their dealer can get better pricing than buying from Revzilla.
    Yes ... plus you must absolutely be friends with your dealer and buying some rider gear there is another good way to maintain the relationship.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    BMW sells about 12,000 new bikes a year in the US and I am positive that allocations are decisions made by humans. I know dealers that didn't want as many F800 bikes but got them anyway and others wanted GSs they didn't get.

You might be right. Time will tell.
    Paul, the root of production allocation is simple math based on sales/travel rate as suggested earlier, and dealers do have a great deal more control over their allocations than you have suggested. When we are allocated production slots, we can opt out of as many of them as we wish. When we do, they go into a "free game" pool where any other dealer (same country/market) can pull them into their own pipeline. I can shed as many production units as I wish, and in turn generally pick up as many additional units as I can sanely afford... and I keep one of the bigger inventories in the US.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Realshelby View Post

I figure BMW already knows about this. Especially if Revzilla is selling any volume at all. IF BMW had a problem with that, it would already be shut down.
    BMW has a very real problem with it... both in that it is happening, and they are experiencing some legal obstacles from doing anything about it - from what I understand from a source who is involved.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    Paul, the root of production allocation is simple math based on sales/travel rate as suggested earlier, and dealers do have a great deal more control over their allocations than you have suggested. When we are allocated production slots, we can opt out of as many of them as we wish. When we do, they go into a "free game" pool where any other dealer (same country/market) can pull them into their own pipeline. I can shed as many production units as I wish, and in turn generally pick up as many additional units as I can sanely afford... and I keep one of the bigger inventories in the US.
    Thanks. I'm glad to know some of the stories I have been told are not true. Grumbling I guess.

BMW has a very real problem with it... both in that it is happening, and they are experiencing some legal obstacles from doing anything about it - from what I understand from a source who is involved.
    Assume P5 is fuller than what's been traditionally the case. Between the closing of dealerships (units returned), sag in some region's sales and dealers' option to divert potential inventory, has to have the warehouse bulging.
    F850GS

MOA #46783

It is one thing to recognize there is a fire, and come running with a bucket of water to show the "Dealers" you are there to put the fire out. But if you don't throw the bucket of water....the fire continues. There may be legal loopholes, and BMW may want to close them. Or not. Just like with vehicle inventory, that can be squeezed down if out of control ( the "Dealer" selling to Revzilla). I will say that if Revzilla is selling a good volume of BMW gear, that is a fire that BMW might not want to put out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Assume P5 is fuller than what's been traditionally the case. Between the closing of dealerships (units returned), sag in some region's sales and dealers' option to divert potential inventory, has to have the warehouse bulging.

BMW sales are doing pretty good overall. They are pretty good at managing inventory, proven by the lack of many year old models you will find for sale at a BMW dealership. Check Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha and compare that.

BMW may be different, but when the Dealership gets the inventory they OWN it. Financed or not, it doesn't simply go back to BMW. Now BMW ( assuming they act somewhat like OEM's I have experience with ) may try to move these bikes to other dealers when a store closes. The hot selling models are easy to do that with. Maybe you have to take an 800GT to get a couple GSA's?

Diverting or deselecting units assigned to you is standard practice with import Dealers. And yes, there is a chess match involved. You want 5 GSA's, ok says the BMW rep, you will need to take 2 of these to get the GSA's.......

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Well if stock was at dealers at a competitive price I think much more would sell. In 2010 when I arrived at the Redmond Rally sporting a mix of pirate gear and day glow attachments I had no thought of picking up riding gear but a dealer (don't remember which) came with a truckload of BMW gear priced really well in almost all sizes. I shipped home a full BMW Rallye Suit purchased at nearly half the cost it would have been in Canada. It was not because of branding but because it was and still is perfect for me. Since then there is of course much more quality competition out there which puts more pressure on pricing.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

What's different between all the high buck gear? A couple are made here. BMW stuff has, a BMW patch. Which is a signal of some kind. Tried to buy a patch at a dealer few years back. No patches. They could'a made a three hundred percent profit on a 3 cent item. Was in a box store yesterday, rack of caps with major auto brands patches. What goin on?

When a person puts on any branding, on their person, it becomes a walking commercial. Advertising equals sales. A three cent patch goes on forever, on any hat or jacket, or t-shirt.

Have a couple of BMW's caps with rubberized Roundels on them. Always figured I could buy any worthwhile motorcycle apparel, sew a Roundel from the cap on them....increase that apparel's worth by 40%, at least. Think the cap cost $20 or $25...take the Roundel off, cap worth maybe $10.00? It's cost (worth ???) is mostly in that "magic" emblem. Harley learned that a long time ago, but they haven't sought to price themselves out of much of the marketplace.
    F850GS

MOA #46783