• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Gear and Apparel at Revzilla

DANIMAL

Danimal
Has anyone noticed that Revzilla is now selling BMW Riding Gear and Apparel? I am curious as to the business reason for this and how the dealer network feels about it. I was at my dealer today for service and no one seemed to know anything about it. You can search any BMW item on Revzilla’s site and the item comes up just like it is on the BMW catalog.

The dealer network isn't pleased, especially since from what I understand it's one of our own who found a loophole in their dealer agreement, created by a law specific to their state, that is allowing them to supply the goods... so Revzilla isn't held to any MAP standard by BMW because BMW isn't wholesaling to them. I'm quite certain BMW is equally unimpressed, and taking action to prevent this from continuing... at least that's what I got out of a deliberately vague conversation with someone who is directly in the loop. FWIW.

I guess I dont understand why this is a bad thing? If Revzilla can apply some downward price pressure I see that as a positive step for consumers.

Seems like the mothership is always pi$$ed about something. With what looks like the least amount of outlets (dealers) for branded products, maybe they are trying to prove Harley-Davidson wrong. :dunno
OM

I looked at the Revzilla website and counted 87 different BMW Motorrad items for sale on that site. Boots, gloves, jackets, pants, lifestyle accessories and a range of other things. Prices seemed to be what dealers would charge for the same items.

I guess I dont understand why this is a bad thing? If Revzilla can apply some downward price pressure I see that as a positive step for consumers.

If Revzilla is sourcing product through the dealer channel they won’t have much markup room, if any, to apply downward pressure on pricing. The main thing Revzilla brings to the table is internet availability coupled with liberal return/exchange policies. And you can get most of that at the BMW dealers running online stores, so I don’t see much to be gained for the consumer.

Best,
DeVern

Prediction: The dealership that is wholesaling this stuff to Revzilla will soon no longer be a dealer. I like Revzilla, and many dealerships, but BMW will stop this ASAP. I know a few dealerships that do not sell BMW apparel because of the strict display and inventory requirements. I know they would love to just take orders to fulfill too.

Prediction: The dealership that is wholesaling this stuff to Revzilla will soon no longer be a dealer. I like Revzilla, and many dealerships, but BMW will stop this ASAP. I know a few dealerships that do not sell BMW apparel because of the strict display and inventory requirements. I know they would love to just take orders to fulfill too.

FTR - BMW requirements are not as prohibitive as some other manufacturers...

I am sure that anyone with a good relationship with their dealer can get better pricing than buying from Revzilla.
Salestax with my discount is a moot point too and will be in most cases for many people given the break many dealers will give..
It's how I ended up with three suits... :hungover :ha

With restraint of trade laws and state laws governing franchisee/manufacturer relationships, it can be pretty difficult for a manufacturer to control what a franchised dealer does.

With restraint of trade laws and state laws governing franchisee/manufacturer relationships, it can be pretty difficult for a manufacturer to control what a franchised dealer does.

Wait till they see the next allocation of inventory. :)

Wait till they see the next allocation of inventory. :)

:) Even that is pretty difficult to control in this day and age. I don't specifically know how BMW allocates their motorcycle production, but within the auto industry it's all done by computer now. Dealers earn a share of the production based on how quickly they're turning inventory and how much stock they currently have (i.e. days supply). Manually taking a dealers allocation away would be a sure route to the courthouse, where the manufacturer would lose big time.

:) Even that is pretty difficult to control in this day and age. I don't specifically know how BMW allocates their motorcycle production, but within the auto industry it's all done by computer now. Dealers earn a share of the production based on how quickly they're turning inventory and how much stock they currently have (i.e. days supply). Manually taking a dealers allocation away would be a sure route to the courthouse, where the manufacturer would lose big time.

BMW sells about 12,000 new bikes a year in the US and I am positive that allocations are decisions made by humans. I know dealers that didn't want as many F800 bikes but got them anyway and others wanted GSs they didn't get.

You might be right. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am lucky enough to have 3 or 4 BMW Motorrad Dealers here in the Houston area.

I don't think I have seen more than a couple pieces of BMW riding gear displayed at any one of them.

BMW Motorrad has to make a profit too, and selling more of the riding gear would be good all around. As mentioned, Harley-Davidson has proven that.

I figure BMW already knows about this. Especially if Revzilla is selling any volume at all. IF BMW had a problem with that, it would already be shut down.

I suspect, especially in single line BMW dealers, that stocking ANY BMW riding gear and the displays for it is probably more of a burden than a profit they can count on.

Think about it, how much BMW gear do you actually see on riders? Yes, it is out there. BMW enthusiasts that go to rallies, but mostly I see Aerostich, KLIM, and Olympia.

^ I think you are right as even my dealer doesn't have as much in stock as normal, however they could be waiting for the new collection to come out and don't want to deal with 'old' stock.....

Back