• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1986 K75C Starting problems

grees1

i have a 1986 K75C The starter relay stuck and had the starter running for a bit, I was not aware of the problem since the only symptom was a flucuating idle. When I did got home and realized the starter relay was stuck I disconnected it. Now, the turn signals do not work, the headlight does not come on, and the bike will not crank. The Ignition control module was buzzing loudly right after it happened but that stopped. I have replaced the ignition control module but still no headlight turn signals or cranking. Does anyone have an idea of what I should look at next? I do get the warning lights when I turn it on so it is not the ignition switch. I don't want to trouble shoot with a shotgun by just replacing parts.

Grees,

First, welcome to the forum!

On the Flying Brick section of the forum, we request that you include the year and the model of the bike in question in the title of any hread that you start. I've added that info for you.

The first thing that you need to do is insure that you have a FULLY charged battery, not just kinda charged.
The starter relay stuck because your battery was very low.

Next check the battery cable connections at the battery and at the ground connection to the transmission just above the shift lever.

Next, check all your fuses.

Take a volt meter and measure the voltage at the starter relay. Check the load side and the control side. Make sure it is functioning properly. If so, check the voltage at the starter during operation.

Let us know what you find and we can steer you in the right direction.

:dance:dance:dance

Back