Thread: Trouble getting RSL body panels to line up

Trouble getting RSL body panels to line up

Stripped my R1100rsl down to do brake lines and now it seems to be a real pain to get the big side fairings back on to where I can secure all the fasteners.

Trying to be real careful with the ones that go into the fuel tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On some of the last few bikes through my shop, I've used a heat gun on low and warmed up the panels.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Put the zeuz fastener in at the very back, then the front one under the tank. Then the other two at the tank. Install the screws at the back of the tank, and then at the front. This will be as close as you can get it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

What Paul said, then I use a punch to line up the panel with the threaded hole in the tank, and use elbow grease to keep it aligned until the screw is finger tight.
    2000 BMW R1100RS | Past bikes: 97 Suzuki GS500E, 82 Suzuki GS1100E, 07 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Put the zeuz fastener in at the very back, then the front one under the tank. Then the other two at the tank. Install the screws at the back of the tank, and then at the front. This will be as close as you can get it.

So that's what those fasteners are called!
    I have been wanting to replace the plastic ones with something more robust on my RT.
    As far as putting panels back on, I try to get the nose and tank and then work my way down.
    The obvious is don't tighten anything until everything is lines up.

Just being picky - they're Dzus fasteners. And my plastic ones have never broken, on either my 1100 or 1150... yet...

Paul, could you be more descriptive about the fasteners? Not sure which ones you are talking about.

There’s the furthest to the rear, the one under the front of the seat, the screw near where your knees rest, the hidden one for the inner dash panels, the three at the front fairing, the three near the exhaust pipes and the bottom one under the cylinder.

Hope to drive this beauty out to BB with the Hill Country BMW Club some weekend Paul. She’s really cherry and look forward to putting some miles on her.

At the very back of the side panels there is a Dzus fastener. Do it first. Then the front of the top 3 under the tank. Then the other 2 at the tank. Then the screw that goes in at the back of the tank.

Then the one under the tank at the top/front and then the bottom ones.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

At the very back of the side panels there is a Dzus fastener. Do it first. Then the front of the top 3 under the tank. Then the other 2 at the tank. Then the screw that goes in at the back of the tank. This is the one critical point with no slop for error.

Then the one under the tank at the top/front and then the bottom ones.

The problem is that over the many years the plastic slightly changes dimensions. Some say it shrinks. I'm not sure.