Thread: 2019 1250rt windshield

2019 1250rt windshield

this might be a goofy question, but, I just bought a 2019 r1250rt and was wondering if you have to keep the bike running to clean the inside of the windshield , since it lowers when the bike is shut off ? thanks for any input

I think the general practice is either to keep the bike running, or do what many people do and remove the windshield, clean the inside, then re-install it.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 56982 View Post
    this might be a goofy question, but, I just bought a 2019 r1250rt and was wondering if you have to keep the bike running to clean the inside of the windshield , since it lowers when the bike is shut off ? thanks for any input
    Nope--just the ignition needs to be on to adjust the screen position the engine doesn't need to be on. I usually just take the screen off to do the inside it's easier to do a nice job but I have cleaned the inside just putting the screen up w/ ignition on. Also: DO NOT overtighten the bolts that hold the screen on--2Nm's is actually too much! I followed the 2Nm torque and ended up with several radial spokes coming out of the holes in teh screen, some an inch long!

I do not remove and reattach the windshield just to clean it. Too much hassle. What do you do to "clean it"?

I just leave the windshield up, engine running or just ignition still on. It doesn't take more than a minute to clean it. Perhaps my definition of "clean it" is inadequate?
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

I have found that you can trick the windshield in to staying up. I raise the screen to the max height, then I turn off the bike. While it's coming down I interfere with the lowering and the screen and it goes back up, kind of like your garage door should do if something is in the way. This way I don't have to leave the ignition turned on.
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 Suzuki XN85 D Turbo

Have you consider just leaving it dirty. That has been working well for me
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Quote Originally Posted by Wethead View Post
    Have you consider just leaving it dirty. That has been working well for me
    but not for OCDs
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

I wish I had a little of that OCD, cause my poor bike is always dirty as sheet.

Well, I do commute to work daily, and I have to go over a mountain range which is typically getting rain...so, I sortta have an excuse.

My friends give scolding lectures on what a slob I am. I am not really a slob type, its just, well, I don't have that much time to clean bikes.

...so, I envy you

Well, I do commute to work daily, and I have to go over a mountain range which is typically getting rain...so, I sortta have an excuse.
    And what mountain range might that be. From your Profile I can't tell if that is the Himalayas, the Alps, the Rockies, the Smokies, or something else?

Or, please fill out some info in a sig line or your profile.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    And what mountain range might that be. From your Profile I can't tell if that is the Himalayas, the Alps, the Rockies, the Smokies, or something else?

Or, please fill out some info in a sig line or your profile.
    I don't like to put personal info on line, though I have my name and phone on the book.
    '
    The Koolau Range is the mountain I pass daily. They aint that high, but as a tropical environment, they usually hold a lot of rain clouds

What do you use to clean the rim of your wheels. They built a black crud on mine that is hard to take off. I been using Windex lately--even that don't clean the hardcore black crud

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56982 View Post
    For most of my windscreen cleaning I just do it with the ignition on. Not much drain on the battery, especially if it is done just before I ride which means the battery will be charging.

I do a thorough clean by removing the windscreen, typically twice a season while I'm washing the bike. It is very quick and easy, just 4 T25 (IIRC) Torx screws hold the two trim strips and then 2 shorter T25 screws beneath those (these are shorter but because there are only 2 one shouldn't get them confused with the 4 longer ones). Super quick and easy, plus it allows you to clean the cowl and reinforcement plate.

As others have said, these screws are to be just finger tight. Nothing past snug.

... What do you use to clean the rim of your wheels. They built a black crud on mine that is hard to take off. I been using Windex lately--even that don't clean the hardcore black crud
    The black crud is typically brake dust, sometimes with a little road grim added for good measure.

If left on for long periods of time (a year or more) it can embed itself into the surface of the rim and be very difficult to impossible to fix completely. Depending on the brake-pad material this can happen quickly (some aftermarket pads) or take a long time to become embedded. Either way, use a quality spray wheel cleaner like Meguiar's and many others. The quality ones have a brake-dusk cleaner component to them that chemically attacks the brake dust but doesn't damage the rim. The cheap ones typically are too aggressive and can damage the finish of the rim.

You will want to spray the rim and let it soak for about 2 minutes. Then try to scrub it off.

If the brake dust is too persistent you may have to go to an automotive store or department and get a wheel cleaning brush. Just a soft-bristle brush. If it is really tough you might need an even firmer bristle, but avoid scratching the finish as that creates ideal places for brake-dust to attach in the future. Just repeat the process until the rim is clean. Waxing the rim after cleaning can reduce the buildup but most folks, myself included, aren't meticulous enough to go that far. ;-)
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando