Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: F850GSA Upper crash bars

One set of upper crash bars left at Wunderlich (Thursday 12:55EST) (1:55EDST)

rightFront.jpg
    Scotty
    BMWMOA 201086
    2012 r1200rt SOLD
    2018 "Extra Red" RT // 2019 Blue F850GSA

Thumbs up

Argghhhh... too late to order to get it here in time for my trip... I head out tomorrow on a 6,000 miles trip with 4 friends...

But glad it is now available!!!
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko
    2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Wunderlich America Part Number: 41580400

Question

I have to ask, for those that have the upper crash bars.

What are the situations that these come handy in protecting the bike? Curious to know.

I have shared several times that I bought this GSA and realized afterwards that it was too tall for me. Nevertheless, I decided to stick with it.

I have had three times where I have had to let it fall on its side. Twice the first time I took it out to a campground in Saint Augustine, FL... was turning around and it was all sand... that front brake, even after 20 years of riding, stupid me with the front brake always get me... and the most recent one was on the last segment of a 6,127 mile trip... I was in the parking lot ready to head out, sure enough, front wheel turned, I am moving slowly, hit the front brake and down it goes to the right again...

In all these situations the bottom guard has been a complete life saver... nothing, and I mean nothing damaged on the bike... not even a scratch!

So I am trying to figure out, since the bottom ones seem to be taking all these falls perfectly... why the need for the upper ones??

And guys, keep in mind, this is my first adventure bike. Everything else I have had has been touring bikes, and one sport bike...

East-SouthWest Ride-1.jpeg
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko

Why Upper Crash Bars

Bike-snow.JPGI do a majority of my riding on Idaho Public Lands roads (USFS, BLM) and the Idaho BDR. These route often have rocks, loose gravel, sand, mud, water and sometimes snow. They also often have ruts and washouts that can quickly put your bike on it's side. During the years I rode my 2007 F650GS, it was on it's side more times than I would like to admit, generally at very slow speeds, but damage was still done. I plan on riding my F850GSA for many years to come and would like to limit any damage to scratches on some stainless steel tubes and not on expensive body work.

Quote Originally Posted by rwadamsidaho View Post
    Bike-snow.JPGI do a majority of my riding on Idaho Public Lands roads (USFS, BLM) and the Idaho BDR. These route often have rocks, loose gravel, sand, mud, water and sometimes snow. They also often have ruts and washouts that can quickly put your bike on it's side. During the years I rode my 2007 F650GS, it was on it's side more times than I would like to admit, generally at very slow speeds, but damage was still done. I plan on riding my F850GSA for many years to come and would like to limit any damage to scratches on some stainless steel tubes and not on expensive body work.
    I will be getting them as well... really wished Touratech came out with them... theirs look like they match the color of the factory units perfectly...
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko