• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Calling 1250 owners: Howzit

Wethead

Can we make this thread a 1250 owner report-place:

Howzit going? any quirks? any happies? any regrets? if you traded a 1200 for a 1250, was it worth it for you...any difference?

In all honesty, I don't want to hear from articles, nor tester review, I would like to hear from owners. thanks

4600 +/- miles on mine that was purchased last week in January.

HAPPY, to say the least!

No issues so far. I ride it daily to and from work, rotating it every other week (or so) with my 2000 R1200C. Tomorrow, it siits so the C can get ridden for the week. Bah, humbug.

Put on Ilium Works bar backs and engine/side case guards. Really worth the money.

View attachment 75260

Cheers,
William

Attachments

• 20190324_092447-1.jpg
    20190324_092447-1.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 810
I talked to one new owner of a '19 GSA (he has a '17 too) and he claims the improved low end (3K - 4K rpm) torque of the shift cam engine compared to his older wethead is really noticeable. OTOH I've talked to my dealer (who has a vested interest in making a new bike as attractive to me as possible) and HE says yes, there's a difference but not enough to trade for.

I personally don't have any qualms about the reliability of the shift cam mechanism because it's fairly mature technology* and it's not mechanically complex. OTOH BMW seems to have more problems with another mature technology - water pumps on the K16s - than they should, so ... ?

Anyway - is there enough difference for someone who doesn't ride 10/10 on the road to buy one or is it just a nice incremental improvement that would sweeten a decision but not force it? When you answer, please tell us the best oil to use, too. :)

*Mercedes has a virtually identical shift-cam system called "Camtronic" they introduced in 2012. BMW cars have a variable timing/variable lift system too, but it's not a shift cam system.

5800 miles on mine. No problems to date. Seat sucks. Have driven in 100°+ weather to 25° weather and it works as it should.

Best oil: free, never ages, quiets all engine noise, made from kale and lima beans, and smells like bourbon.

As others have reported, well worth the upgrade. I mentioned the auto ESA on the LT site, we ride lots of two-up, so her just jumping on without having to change anything is great. I also like that the front end comes up too and levels with the back. Set the ESA on max while riding solo and it feels tall, like a GSA.

I can't say I've noticed any performance loss when Joyce hops on. I will still almost lift the front wheel by mistake while quick shifting. Without ASC I'm sure I would have filled it over on myself by now.

I've got 9,000 km (5,600 mi) on mine and, just like the 2015+ LC Boxers, no issues, and loving the bike. Traded in my 2014 R1200RTW and am happy with having done that. YMMV.

... if you traded a 1200 for a 1250, was it worth it for you...any difference? ...

That's a very wide range of bikes to compare, 3 previous models to the new 1250.

To try and answer your question quickly, I'd say, if one were looking at trading an R1200RT Hexhead or Camhead on and R1250RT there is a very significant difference that would prompt most anyone to give the idea strong consideration. Money comes into play as this notion that trading in for a new model should make economic sense is rarely borne out. That case can be made sometimes, but most of the time the bigger question is what does the rider want? And how does the new bike address that?

If one is looking at trading an RTW on an R1250RT, then I feel the issues becomes almost completely one of what a person wants, versus there being any notion that there is a financial case to be made. If moving from a 2014-2016 RT then there are more differences than going from a 2017-2018, but the main real-world differences for me are the noticeable and welcome increase in low/mid-range torque and the self-levelling ESA. The power difference is nice put not major, just gives me a bit more reserve for passing ability on 2-lane roads.

I've not noticed the claimed improvement in fuel economy but didn't track my economy on my 2014 during it's break-in period. Fuel economy seems just a little worse, but I think that is because I'm riding the R1250RT a bit harder then I did my 2014, just because I'm enjoying the engine a bit more. ;-)

I've always felt that the question should be phrased slightly differently - "If your current bike was totalled and you had an insurance cheque in hand should you buy a new 2018 or new 2019". For me, this tells a far better comparison because it doesn't pit going over the depreciation hump vs the new model. The depreciation hump is almost always the price you pay for what you want, not what you need.

Comparing the 2018 to 2019 in my dealership the first of this year the difference in price was only about 5% (more now as the 1250s are gaining in demand) and I didn't have to think more than a minute about that part of it. The biggest dilemma was deciding if I wanted to change and pay for doing that, but the new 2018 vs the new 2019 for 5% more was a no-brainer for me. Again, everyone has their own metrics that they wil use. Besides, I wanted the 2019 Mars Red (slightly diffenrt from the previous ones with the darker valve covers, etc.). ;-)

Got mine in May, 3000 miles so far, and I love it.

Only possible issue is there may be something wrong with the bluetooth transmitter for the audio. When I hook up the Sena SRL unit I bought to the bikes bluetooth, the music is distorted.

Leaving for MOA Copper Mountain rally next Wednesday for the maiden voyage. I pumped!!

victor

Some riders of the 1250 GS have reported weird noises coming out of the engine to which the Beemer shop appears to fix right away with the "they all do that" treatment. It works everytime at Corp.

The guys with RT are reporting a exaggerated vibration during acceleration. Some claim it went away after miles, others not.

Then, you have the BMW apostles who claim 'it ain't so because BMW is the Immaculate Corporate Manufacturer...sort like the Mother of Jesus.

I am waiting and see what owners keep reporting.

I got mine in June, 4000 miles in and it's the smoothes RT to date. I've had a lot of them. No vibration on exceleration and the noises coming from the front change all the time. I used to be a 'worried about that noise' guy, but not anymore. I've had enough boxers to know they all sound different when you're sitting in the saddle.

Gas, wind direction, wind speed, how deep you got your ear plugs that day, are the helmet vents open, all play a factor. When I thought my bike was making a funny noise I'd have someone ride it while I listened. After doing that a couple of times I don't worry about the noises anymore.

My mpg is a little better but not really noticeable. During normal conditions on the highway I get to about 200 miles on the tank before I start looking for fuel.

I got mine in June, 4000 miles in and it's the smoothes RT to date. I've had a lot of them. No vibration on exceleration and the noises coming from the front change all the time. I used to be a 'worried about that noise' guy, but not anymore. I've had enough boxers to know they all sound different when you're sitting in the saddle.

Gas, wind direction, wind speed, how deep you got your ear plugs that day, are the helmet vents open, all play a factor. When I thought my bike was making a funny noise I'd have someone ride it while I listened. After doing that a couple of times I don't worry about the noises anymore.

My mpg is a little better but not really noticeable. During normal conditions on the highway I get to about 200 miles on the tank before I start looking for fuel.

I like the "no vibration" part. But it sounds like yours make the awkward noise reported, but it does not bother you.

I has a 2009 RT that made a clacking noise as if two metal parts where banging against each other. "They all sound like that" was all I could get out of the service Mnrg. Eventually, a mech took the timing chain off. He claimed he could not remove it the way the manual suggested, and, he removed it some other way I imagine, cause he replaced it.

The clacking noise stopped for a day or two and came back again. That's when I stipulated something was gonna go wrong with the engine eventually and traded it in for another bike.

Has anyone thought that since the cams are different, it's going to make different noises than before?

I don't have the noise. I said mine make all kinds of noises and yes, they all do.

How many BMW's have blown up after the dealer turned then away? The service department wants to fix your bike, it's how the dealer makes most of its money. That goes double for warranty work.

Has anyone thought that since the cams are different, it's going to make different noises than before?

I don't have the noise. I said mine make all kinds of noises and yes, they all do.

How many BMW's have blown up after the dealer turned then away? The service department wants to fix your bike, it's how the dealer makes most of its money. That goes double for warranty work.

If I own BMW I would send you a cookie. You be the kind of customers they want.

You could just as well speculate that because it has multi-variate valve, it should make less noise as it would run smoother. Many cars today run the multi-valve sys and they don't sound like muscle cars anymore.

I have a friend who has crashed two Wings, they both had over 300,000 miles, and now he has a third Wing which he is presently riding in the mainland cross country with over 300,000 miles. My point: How many BMW have you heard of that are ON the road with 300k

Just because you never heard of a blown motor does not make it that one ought not be concern with a peculiar sound coming from the engine.

I would suggest you compare the "mine makes all kinds of noises" with other bikes and previous models and try to get to the bottom as to 'what kind of noise' and 'where it may be coming from' to avoid being the first case of "blow up after the dealer turn away" or getting stranded on the road somewhere away from home...like many of the (new production) GT owner have been...including myself.

It seems to me that as customers, we ought to develop a more critical posture rather than a faithful one, when it comes to contemporary manufactured products from a Corp.

There you go again, ‘Wethead’. Time to chill and listen to the music. I had an ‘82 r100 with 168k on it and it was full of sounds. No engine problems other than normal wear. The only thing I worried about were tires and idiot drivers.

If you seek a quiet mc, get an electric.

First BMW? :dunno

I'll say this one more time and before I hit the ignore button. They all make noise. If a BMW R1250GS/GSA/RT were to blow up, all the world would know about it within the hour via ADV.

There you go again, ‘Wethead’. Time to chill and listen to the music. I had an ‘82 r100 with 168k on it and it was full of sounds. No engine problems other than normal wear. The only thing I worried about were tires and idiot drivers.

If you seek a quiet mc, get an electric.

Thats it then, I am seeking another therapist...the four I have now are not making any progress

Great Bike

Loving my GS 1250. Sold my ‘14 1200 that I enjoyed as well. There is a difference between the two bikes. Happy to report that I have had no issues with either. Fun bikes to ride.

R 1250 gs

Loving my GS 1250. Sold my ‘14 1200 that I enjoyed as well. There is a difference between the two bikes. Happy to report that I have had no issues with either. Fun bikes to ride.

39,000mi on 2013 R1200GS great bike, traded to 2015 R1200GS which was even better 33,000mi, traded to 2017.5 R1200GS which was even better then 2015 31,000mi, traded to 2019 R1250GS inDec. 2018. Have 11,000mi on it and it is truly better then all the previous GS. Only problem I had was the clutch shifting on the 2013. Was fixed in warranty with BMW updated part in clutch to allow more oil in clutch basket. Each year BMW ( and most other companies) improve their product. So just a small list of improvements since 2013. 1. better clutch, 2. smother engagement first 5mph, 3. lots of low end torque, 4. smother engine( could always tell when I was at 80mph)-vibration- none now, 5. mpg up 5mpg, 6. passing power is wonderful, 7. suspension refined to automatic, 8. self leveling suspension, 9. hill braking refined so it really works, 10. pro-assist shift smother, 11. Headlight is bright, 12. abs in curves does work, 13. shifting is a snap and smother, 14. tft screen is well thought out so you can choose many different screens for ALL your info, 15. annoying engine noise has changed to not be nerve racking. 16. turn signals self cancel for different reasons.

some have complained about added weight. The 2013 weight to HP was 4.2lbs 2017.5 was 4.3lbs the 2019 is 4.1lbs and better low end.

cons. 1. seat is terrible, 2. would like 4-way flashers to come on when bike is dropped, 3. would like 1 inch lower for street riding, thumb wheel changes screens too easily.
If I could find a better bike for my type of riding I'd buy it, as of now they don't make it.

Little over 9,000 miles on my 2019 1250RT. It has been a great bike. I have been very happy with my decision to get the bike. It checks off all the boxes for me.

It is much smoother at higher speeds and off idle than my 2015 RT ever was. In addition the extra power is noticeable and intoxicating. Gas mileage seems to be similar to the 2015 whether going fast or going slow. The self leveling suspension is nice. I also like the fact the 1250RT has a knock sensor to allow for those areas that do not carry mid grade or premium gas.

If power and the other changes are not that important to you than I think the wethead 1200RT check off all the boxes for you.

Back