Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calling 1250 owners: Howzit

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbs View Post
    There you go again, ‘Wethead’. Time to chill and listen to the music. I had an ‘82 r100 with 168k on it and it was full of sounds. No engine problems other than normal wear. The only thing I worried about were tires and idiot drivers.

If you seek a quiet mc, get an electric.
    Thats it then, I am seeking another therapist...the four I have now are not making any progress
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Great Bike

Loving my GS 1250. Sold my ‘14 1200 that I enjoyed as well. There is a difference between the two bikes. Happy to report that I have had no issues with either. Fun bikes to ride.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy111 View Post
    Loving my GS 1250. Sold my ‘14 1200 that I enjoyed as well. There is a difference between the two bikes. Happy to report that I have had no issues with either. Fun bikes to ride.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

AZrider

R 1250 gs

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy111 View Post
    39,000mi on 2013 R1200GS great bike, traded to 2015 R1200GS which was even better 33,000mi, traded to 2017.5 R1200GS which was even better then 2015 31,000mi, traded to 2019 R1250GS inDec. 2018. Have 11,000mi on it and it is truly better then all the previous GS. Only problem I had was the clutch shifting on the 2013. Was fixed in warranty with BMW updated part in clutch to allow more oil in clutch basket. Each year BMW ( and most other companies) improve their product. So just a small list of improvements since 2013. 1. better clutch, 2. smother engagement first 5mph, 3. lots of low end torque, 4. smother engine( could always tell when I was at 80mph)-vibration- none now, 5. mpg up 5mpg, 6. passing power is wonderful, 7. suspension refined to automatic, 8. self leveling suspension, 9. hill braking refined so it really works, 10. pro-assist shift smother, 11. Headlight is bright, 12. abs in curves does work, 13. shifting is a snap and smother, 14. tft screen is well thought out so you can choose many different screens for ALL your info, 15. annoying engine noise has changed to not be nerve racking. 16. turn signals self cancel for different reasons.

some have complained about added weight. The 2013 weight to HP was 4.2lbs 2017.5 was 4.3lbs the 2019 is 4.1lbs and better low end.

cons. 1. seat is terrible, 2. would like 4-way flashers to come on when bike is dropped, 3. would like 1 inch lower for street riding, thumb wheel changes screens too easily.
    If I could find a better bike for my type of riding I'd buy it, as of now they don't make it.
    R1200WGS 2013

Little over 9,000 miles on my 2019 1250RT. It has been a great bike. I have been very happy with my decision to get the bike. It checks off all the boxes for me.

It is much smoother at higher speeds and off idle than my 2015 RT ever was. In addition the extra power is noticeable and intoxicating. Gas mileage seems to be similar to the 2015 whether going fast or going slow. The self leveling suspension is nice. I also like the fact the 1250RT has a knock sensor to allow for those areas that do not carry mid grade or premium gas.

If power and the other changes are not that important to you than I think the wethead 1200RT check off all the boxes for you.

Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

1250 gs

I've owned my 1250 GS for about 3 months now and love it. There is a huge difference in engine power and technology over the 2004 1150GS that I sold to get the 1250. The only thing that bothers me just a little is the gear shift assist does not always work very smoothly. I have read KTM's gear shift assist works a lot more smoothly.

Shift Assist PRo

A little trick is to always be accelerating (not steady RPM) to upshift. If you have to, roll on the throttle a little and shift just a second after, then steady throttle until ready for next gear. For downshifts, close that throttle completely prior to the d-shifts. After some practice, you will find what works. Some times I forget those tips and find a little bucking bronco for a bit. HA
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    A little trick is to always be accelerating (not steady RPM) to upshift. If you have to, roll on the throttle a little and shift just a second after, then steady throttle until ready for next gear. For downshifts, close that throttle completely prior to the d-shifts. After some practice, you will find what works. Some times I forget those tips and find a little bucking bronco for a bit. HA
    Thanks, I will try that the next time I ride.

R1250rs

I purchased a R1250RS in blue a couple of weeks ago and I was coming off an R1150R Rockster. For me, it's like a night and day difference. The Rockster is a good bike, but I'm really enjoying the added smoothness, power, and control of the new RS. I've put a few hundred miles on it, commuting to work, in the rain, and plenty of time in the twisties and while I'm still adjusting to it, I am really enjoying it. For the competition, I considered the R1250R and the KTM SD GT. I went with the RS on good review, looks, and being a bit of a BMW fan boy. The fact that the boxer pulls at so wide a rev range is also a great feature for commuting.

I got the BMW head guards, OEM luggage, and Nav VI. Over the winter I'll almost certainly put on an aftermarket exhaust and tail tidy of some kind. Probably get some LED blinkers for the front too. I may put on bar risers, maybe not, and also likely move the GPS mount to the screen.

The more I ride the GS’s, the more I ask myself, “Why did I ever buy such and such”. The ride is smooth and the power is a hoot. It would take a tremendous amount of coaxing to get me on another brand. I had no issues with my ‘14, but I am glad I bought the ‘19.

I had a 2016 RT, traded up to 1250 RT, smooth ride, smooth shifting, loving this bike, no buyers remorse here.....

2014 1200GS vs 2019 1250 GS

Bought my 1250 GS in February. BMW fixed everything they never admitted was wrong with the previous generation. Shifting, power, braking, handling, all better than my 2014. Niggles: Shift Assistant is a waste. I shift w/o the clutch on my 1981 G/S, but who needs that? Buy a DTC Honda if you hate clutches. OIL LEVEL WARNING skull and crossbones comes on the TFT from time to time, but sight glass is full. Go figure. I’ve got 4K on it now and think it’s amazing. In fact I have to be careful on my other bikes trying to rip around the backroads like they were GSs. They’re not. Nothing is. My .02 of course.

GS Joel

1250 rt

Bought in May, have 3000 miles.....no issues. I agree they all make odd noises,I have had so many bikes that they do all do that! Once the aer plugs fall out you can hear all kinds of engine noise; I’m use to it after all these years of riding

Jerry
    Jerry
    2019 R1250 RT Carbon Black (The fast one!)