Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Calling 1250 owners: Howzit

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    430
    I agree on the Shift Assist Pro. The harder you accelerate the smoother it shifts. If I am just puttering around I use the clutch. If I am rolling up an acceleration ramp for the interstate I use the shift assist.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    21

    Very Happy since May 1st!

    Traded in my Harley for a new 1250GSA - couldn't be happier. The bike is wonderful and I'm approaching 5,900 miles since May 1st.

    The biggest issue I had was the seat and the seat height. It was terrible. Went with Seat Concepts and now I can ride for hours with no issues. I figured at 34 years of age, i shouldn't have the pains I was getting after riding for 20 minutes. Changed the seat and I feel like my old self again. These are honestly the biggest disappointments I've had with the bike - the seat discomfort and the height of the bike.

    Minor annoyance was the stock windscreen - regardless of the height, it just blasted wind in my face. Replaced that with a Puig and I'm very happy.

    Hill Hold has caused me to drop the bike coming from a start. It held firm. Balance with no momentum only lasts for so long. Hill Hold doesn't seem to be very consistent in response and with disengaging. Also, the different mapping between riding modes also requires different clutch manipulations since power settings have changed - something I'm getting better at manipulating.

    I have experienced the hesitation at low RPM with the Shift Assist. I figured higher RPM's are a better power setting for the Shift Assist to really work its magic and I use the clutch when I'm not getting on it.

    Regardless, if any of you have pointers on what I can do to improve upon my inputs to the machine, I'd love to hear them. I can't stress enough how minor these grievances are. By no means do I dislike the bike.

    All in all, I think I'm a lifelong BMW fan now. From the dealership, the buying process, and obviously the machine, it has been a great experience. I have to park in the back of my gym and other favorite establishments because if this bike is in the open, I can expect an additional 10 minutes of conversation with passers-by about it.

    Looking forward to many more miles.

    - Austin

  3. #33

    2019 gs

    I moved from a ‘17 1200GS to a ‘19 1250GS and I am extremely pleased. Noticeable change in smoothness across the board as well as acceleration. I am also very pleased with the TFT display and have only one complaint... the same as many others, “love the bike, don’t love the seat”. Understanding everyone’s backside is different it may be more me than the seat but currently working to find the happy place 😀. I have a new Sargent waiting for me at home and intend to swap it out and see if it is the answer. I haven’t owned one of their seats previously but I dealt directly with Dane at Sargent and I will say I was impressed, very patient, informative and great service.

  4. #34
    Registered User TGA57589's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington, Utah
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    4600 +/- miles on mine that was purchased last week in January.

    HAPPY, to say the least!

    No issues so far. I ride it daily to and from work, rotating it every other week (or so) with my 2000 R1200C. Tomorrow, it siits so the C can get ridden for the week. Bah, humbug.

    Put on Ilium Works bar backs and engine/side case guards. Really worth the money.

    Attachment 75260

    Cheers,
    William
    Just got a R1250 RT two weeks ago trading my faithful '07 RT. I appreciate your review of the Illium bar backs, which I intend to buy very soon. I just installed my Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kit a couple days ago and it is great just like the ones I used for 12 yrs. on the old machine. I installed the Machineart Moto fender extension yesterday and that is a nice piece as well. I also ordered Wunderlich crash bars that have beat the bank up considerably but I had those on my old machine too and they are artwork in my eyes. Not much left to do but ride I guess well, work and pay for it!

  5. #35
    Registered User TGA57589's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington, Utah
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    4600 +/- miles on mine that was purchased last week in January.

    HAPPY, to say the least!

    No issues so far. I ride it daily to and from work, rotating it every other week (or so) with my 2000 R1200C. Tomorrow, it siits so the C can get ridden for the week. Bah, humbug.

    Put on Ilium Works bar backs and engine/side case guards. Really worth the money.

    Attachment 75260

    Cheers,
    William
    Just got a R1250 RT two weeks ago trading my faithful '07 RT. I appreciate your review of the Illium bar backs, which I intend to buy very soon. I just installed my Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kit a couple days ago and it is great just like the ones I used for 12 yrs. on the old machine. I installed the Machineart Moto fender extension yesterday and that is a nice piece as well. I also ordered Wunderlich crash bars that have beat the bank up considerably but I had those on my old machine too and they are artwork in my eyes. Not much left to do but ride I guess well, work and pay for it!

  6. #36
    Registered User TGA57589's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington, Utah
    Posts
    129

    R1250RT seats

    I'm like most on here having issues with the seats on every BMW I've ever owned. Having just bought a R1250RT and paying extra for the brown leather option asking for just the plain black seat knowing I'll just put it in a box in the garage and buy something that I can sit on. I had a Rick Mayer seat on my '07 that that I traded that I could do 700 miles on with not too much trouble. What are the options?

  7. #37
    Registered User WWeldin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by TGA57589 View Post
    What are the options?
    I know Sargent makes seats for them; I stopped by their booth at The National. It may be an option for me in the future, but for now, we use the Alaska Leathers sheepskin covers. They suit us for now, but I forget to bring them out and put them on half the time; I only use them for longer trips. I wear mesh overpants and absolutley hate the slick surface on the OEM seat. I seldom have issues with the sheepskin cover, though. Someday.......
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

  8. #38
    Registered User 67071's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Albany, Oregon
    Posts
    2
    Bought mine in July on my wife's birthday. What a saint!! It was a big change from my 1994 LT.

    At 1400 miles, it started running rough. The dealer couldn't get the code to clear so they had to replace the fuel pump. Runs great now. My other issue is trying to adjust the headlight since it is too low and I can't get to the adjuster screw to raise it. I'll add it to the list when it goes in for the 6,000 mile service.

  9. #39
    Registered User TGA57589's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington, Utah
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Beautiful bike. More powerful than my R1200RT and feels smoother. Got Russell Day Long leather saddles (see the photo at the bottom). A HUGE improvement over the stock vinyl saddles. BMW should provide stock leather saddles worthy of its RT.

    I had a Rick Mayer seat on my '07 RT and this seat on My '19 1250 RT is terrible. I'll be getting a day long soon enough.

  10. #40

    Seat update

    Quote Originally Posted by danielberndt View Post
    I moved from a ‘17 1200GS to a ‘19 1250GS and I am extremely pleased. Noticeable change in smoothness across the board as well as acceleration. I am also very pleased with the TFT display and have only one complaint... the same as many others, “love the bike, don’t love the seat”. Understanding everyone’s backside is different it may be more me than the seat but currently working to find the happy place 😀. I have a new Sargent waiting for me at home and intend to swap it out and see if it is the answer. I haven’t owned one of their seats previously but I dealt directly with Dane at Sargent and I will say I was impressed, very patient, informative and great service.
    Installed the new Sargent seats and did a ride for about 1:40. So far I can say that it seems as though these seats will be much more comfortable than stock. Yes, they are more firm but also seemingly more support and less issues with hot spots. Will provide an update when I have more opportunity to experience more time in the saddle.

  11. #41
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ, & Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by TGA57589 View Post
    I had a Rick Mayer seat on my '07 RT and this seat on My '19 1250 RT is terrible. I'll be getting a day long soon enough.
    Rck Mayer went out of busiess a few years ago. Something about legal problems, I read. His saddle on my '07 RT was great. Now I use Russell Day Longs.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

  12. #42
    Registered User vskinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    5

    2019 R 1250 RT Fuel Pump Bad

    Quote Originally Posted by 67071 View Post
    Bought mine in July on my wife's birthday. What a saint!! It was a big change from my 1994 LT.

    At 1400 miles, it started running rough. The dealer couldn't get the code to clear so they had to replace the fuel pump. Runs great now. My other issue is trying to adjust the headlight since it is too low and I can't get to the adjuster screw to raise it. I'll add it to the list when it goes in for the 6,000 mile service.

    Same thing happened to me. I had 3 engine fault lights:

    600 miles - amperage draw fault (not sure is this was related to the fuel pump or not)
    5300 miles - 3A1061, Electronic fuel pump fault
    5700 miles - another Electronic fuel pump fault

    Dealer replaced fuel pump under warranty. Running great now! Victor

  13. #43

    Distorted Bluetooth...

    Quote Originally Posted by vskinner View Post
    Got mine in May, 3000 miles so far, and I love it.

    Only possible issue is there may be something wrong with the bluetooth transmitter for the audio. When I hook up the Sena SRL unit I bought to the bikes bluetooth, the music is distorted.

    Leaving for MOA Copper Mountain rally next Wednesday for the maiden voyage. I pumped!!

    victor
    I ride a 2016 R1200RTW with the same issue. I was excited at the beginning with the Sirius XM and thought it would be awesome when riding long trips with my Sena headsets in my Shoei Neotec II. However, it was so distorted I cancelled my subscription. I hoped that BMW fixed the problem, but apparently not. I learned to pair my headsets directly to my iPhone. Now, I can listen to my playlists or Sirius without distortion. I hope BMW eventually decides to fix this before I decide to trade up.

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    West of Rockies
    Posts
    23

    Rick Mayer

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Rck Mayer went out of busiess a few years ago. Something about legal problems, I read. His saddle on my '07 RT was great. Now I use Russell Day Longs.
    Strange, Rick made a seat for me this September at GS Giants. Rides great. He seems ready to check out, but maybe not entirely.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by passedetp View Post
    Traded in my Harley for a new 1250GSA - couldn't be happier. The bike is wonderful and I'm approaching 5,900 miles since May 1st.

    The biggest issue I had was the seat and the seat height. It was terrible. Went with Seat Concepts and now I can ride for hours with no issues. I figured at 34 years of age, i shouldn't have the pains I was getting after riding for 20 minutes. Changed the seat and I feel like my old self again. These are honestly the biggest disappointments I've had with the bike - the seat discomfort and the height of the bike.

    Minor annoyance was the stock windscreen - regardless of the height, it just blasted wind in my face. Replaced that with a Puig and I'm very happy.

    Hill Hold has caused me to drop the bike coming from a start. It held firm. Balance with no momentum only lasts for so long. Hill Hold doesn't seem to be very consistent in response and with disengaging. Also, the different mapping between riding modes also requires different clutch manipulations since power settings have changed - something I'm getting better at manipulating.

    I have experienced the hesitation at low RPM with the Shift Assist. I figured higher RPM's are a better power setting for the Shift Assist to really work its magic and I use the clutch when I'm not getting on it.

    Regardless, if any of you have pointers on what I can do to improve upon my inputs to the machine, I'd love to hear them. I can't stress enough how minor these grievances are. By no means do I dislike the bike.

    All in all, I think I'm a lifelong BMW fan now. From the dealership, the buying process, and obviously the machine, it has been a great experience. I have to park in the back of my gym and other favorite establishments because if this bike is in the open, I can expect an additional 10 minutes of conversation with passers-by about it.

    Looking forward to many more miles.

    - Austin
    This is my third BMW, the second with the “Hill Hold.” I love it, and missed it on the one (‘16 GS) that didn’t have it. After trying to start off with it still engaged, I quickly realized that it works much better for me if I disengage it before starting to roll. Never dropped it, but came close a couple of times on my ‘16 RT.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Calling all RT owners
    By jimbc in forum Airheads
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 03:06 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 10:45 PM
  3. Calling Fairbanks Area - Airhead Owners
    By RAColeman in forum Regional West
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 04:26 AM
  4. Calling all K75RT owners...
    By 90288 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 07:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •